Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with electric hob

People here were really helpful when I posted about a kitchen re-fit last
month and I'm hoping someone can help me again.

In a flat I let out, I have a two-ring Zanussi hob which you can see here
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...AN-ZDE320X.htm

It is fitted into a work-top with a fridge below it. My tenant emailed me
today saying "...tonight as I was cooking I noticed a strong smell and
smoke coming out from between the fridge roof and the base of the hob.
When I looked I found that the top of the fridge has actually started to
melt from the heat that comes from the hob when they are switched on. Both
the hob and the fridge are still working so there is no big damage as
such..."

I assume the hob, which was fitted in June, may have developed a fault,
but if not would anyone know if there is something I can put on the top of
the fridge to alleviate the problem - or anything else I could do. There
is very little room above the fridge.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian F. wrote:
[...]

But how much room?

Looking at page 8 of the PDF file of the manual at:
http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U30330.pdf, it says that the base of
the unit "can be hot when in operation" and indicates that if there's a
kitchen unit underneath, then a minimum gap of 20mm is required... it
doesn't say what gap's needed for a fridge beneath, but it's a lot
bigger than that for an oven, and as a fridge belts out a fair amount of
heat I would have thought 20mm was likely to be inadequate.

So my best guess is that the installation is bad, and the smoke started
only when the hob was on for a long period of time?

If so I think trying to circumvent the depth limitation by interposing
something between the two is a non-starter - the kitchen design needs a
rethink.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

But how much room?

Looking at page 8 of the PDF file of the manual at:
http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U30330.pdf, it says that the base of
the unit "can be hot when in operation" and indicates that if there's a
kitchen unit underneath, then a minimum gap of 20mm is required... it
doesn't say what gap's needed for a fridge beneath, but it's a lot
bigger than that for an oven, and as a fridge belts out a fair amount of
heat I would have thought 20mm was likely to be inadequate.

So my best guess is that the installation is bad, and the smoke started
only when the hob was on for a long period of time?

If so I think trying to circumvent the depth limitation by interposing
something between the two is a non-starter - the kitchen design needs a
rethink.

Thanks for this David, it appears to be very valid. I'll clearly have to
rethink.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian F. wrote:

[...]

You don't seem to have considered that the fridge insulation may
already have been permanently damaged internally by the heat.
Which visible bit is melting?

Now that asbestos board is out of consideration, most good heat
insulation materials are quite expensive. Even they would only
slow the rate of transmission, and could even further compromise
the required clearance and ventilation under the hob.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

You don't seem to have considered that the fridge insulation may
already have been permanently damaged internally by the heat.
Which visible bit is melting?

I'm going up to the flat to have a look at it this morning - the tenant
only told me about it last night.

Now that asbestos board is out of consideration, most good heat
insulation materials are quite expensive. Even they would only
slow the rate of transmission, and could even further compromise
the required clearance and ventilation under the hob.

Point taken, Chris. Thank you.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian F. wrote:
[...]

If thee is room slide a bit of 15mm or 12mm multiboard bewteen the two
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ian F. wrote:

[...]

Slowing the rate of transmission would reduce the farside temperature.
Which is what is required.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ian F. wrote:

[...]

exactly. The fridge will need air movement, but that could be
provided by having a gap at the sides. Not ideal, but should be
adequate. One thing to watch for is the temp rating of whatever
insulation you use, forget anything plastic based.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

exactly. The fridge will need air movement, but that could be
provided by having a gap at the sides. Not ideal, but should be
adequate. One thing to watch for is the temp rating of whatever
insulation you use, forget anything plastic based.

Thanks NT and Chris - I'm sure something will work one way or the other!

As always, solid helpful advice from everyone. Thank you all.

Ian

Electric problem RatRibs73 UK diy 75 September 14th 06 08:27 AM
Electric Problem sean Electronics 9 June 9th 06 08:24 PM
Help with condo electric problem vic Home Repair 3 April 30th 06 02:57 PM
electric shower problem tracy.charlton UK diy 0 July 11th 05 08:20 AM
Electric problem - now what George Eberhardt Home Repair 12 October 3rd 04 09:51 PM