Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot glue ?

Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 11:02, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 11:53, robgraham wrote:
On 25 Nov, 11:02, "Arthur2" wrote:

Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Rob

And cleans off nicely with a damp cloth. Or if there are big beads to
clean off they can go back in the pot with no wastage.
Little or no clamping time - really useful, though sometimes you want
to be able to take your time.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:

Ying tong iddle-i po!

From my child hood, I remembered that as Ying tong yiddle I po. A quick
google has confirmed that.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Arthur,

When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled
up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian G" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Arthur,

When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled
up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?

Brian G

Sorry.
I should have said, hot glue gun.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 12:44, "Arthur2" wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Arthur,

When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled
up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?

Brian G

Sorry.
I should have said, hot glue gun.

Arthur

I've only used a hot glue gun for one project... gluing drawer kit
sides to a thin MDF frame.

The advantage I found was that it formed a glue 'rivet' when extruded
through the screw holes.

It also tolerates filling big gaps well, as it sets so quickly.

M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arthur2
writes
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

One disadvantage is that if you get it on your skin when it's hot, the
only way I know to get it off is to remove the skin...
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
On 25 Nov, 11:02, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Which just goes to show that "The devil came down to
Georgia" can't be true

.... where would he be able to practice ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Arthur,

When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled
up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?

Brian G

Sorry.
I should have said, hot glue gun.

Arthur

Not good for tight fitting joints etc because it tends to occupy more
space than pva glues (because it sets so quickly)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

Peter Twydell wrote:

Ying tong iddle-i po!

From my child hood, I remembered that as Ying tong yiddle I po. A
quick google has confirmed that.

Childhood ?

I have the original EP about 4 metres from where I'm sitting

I'll bet my brother still has that EP (he is 11 years older than me and
was into the goons a lot longer)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

Ying tong iddle-i po!

From my child hood, I remembered that as Ying tong yiddle I po. A quick
google has confirmed that.

Childhood ?

I have the original EP about 4 metres from where I'm sitting

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 12:44, "Arthur2" wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Arthur,

When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled
up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?

Brian G

Sorry.
I should have said, hot glue gun.

Arthur

Ahh well, that just goes to show that if you come from the more
ancient of the race, you just assume that everyone talks the same
language as you !

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

On 25 Nov, 11:02, "Arthur2" wrote:

Hi all.
I've never used this stuff before.
What are its advantages over say conventional wood glue?

Arthur

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Rob

And cleans off nicely with a damp cloth. Or if there are big beads to
clean off they can go back in the pot with no wastage.
Little or no clamping time - really useful, though sometimes you want
to be able to take your time.

cheers
Jacob

I don't think you're talking about what most people uunderstand by hot glue
these days - ie the thermoplastic sticks applied with a gun.
--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov, 08:40, Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says... I have a 5 year old and I know all the words to 'I'm Archie! The Inventor"

Ah, well, you'll know all about why hotmelt is so much more immediate
than PVA. You can get a lot more building done in the same attention
span!
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

My daughter believes that the world has not yet woken up to the
phenomenal possibilities of sellotape.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

My daughter believes that the world has not yet woken up to the
phenomenal possibilities of sellotape.

I had an A&E surgeon who thought the same.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:

My daughter believes that the world has not yet woken up to the
phenomenal possibilities of sellotape.

I had an A&E surgeon who thought the same.

Did the gerbil survive?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Ian White wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:

My daughter believes that the world has not yet woken up to the
phenomenal possibilities of sellotape.

I had an A&E surgeon who thought the same.

Did the gerbil survive?

Alt.gerbil.sellotape.keystage1 is thataway...

The surgeon was using it as a low-tack alternative to sticking plaster.
Since many of his patients were hairy rock climbers, it was the humane
thing to do.

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:10:52 +0000, Dave
wrote:

I have often thought about getting a low temp glue gun. Do they stick
the same as high temp?

Yes, but the "open time" is annoyingly short before the glue sets.

I just wear disposable gloves. If you blob yourself badly, you peel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have often thought about getting a low temp glue gun. Do they stick
the same as high temp?

Yes, but the "open time" is annoyingly short before the glue sets.

I just wear disposable gloves. If you blob yourself badly, you peel.

Thanks for that, I'll stick to the hot melt (pun not intended.)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Dave
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

Ying tong iddle-i po!

From my child hood, I remembered that as Ying tong yiddle I po. A
quick google has confirmed that.

Childhood ?

I have the original EP about 4 metres from where I'm sitting

I'll bet my brother still has that EP (he is 11 years older than me and
was into the goons a lot longer)

Dave

I was confused for a moment, 78s dont come in an EP version
afaik. You modern progressive people!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

robgraham writes
..snippage...

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Which just goes to show that "The devil came down to
Georgia" can't be true

... where would he be able to practice ?

Ah, you are forgetting the rest of the song. It was a "fiddle of gold."
Prolly assembled with silver solder, to withstand the high temperature.

Edwin.
------

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Edwin Spector
writes
geoff wrote:

robgraham writes
..snippage...

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Which just goes to show that "The devil came down to
Georgia" can't be true
... where would he be able to practice ?

Ah, you are forgetting the rest of the song.

I never knew it - being country and western ****e, the first line is as
far as I ever heard.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Edwin Spector
writes
geoff wrote:

robgraham writes
..snippage...

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with
heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you
are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.

Which just goes to show that "The devil came down to
Georgia" can't be true
... where would he be able to practice ?

Ah, you are forgetting the rest of the song.

I never knew it - being country and western ****e, the first line is as
far as I ever heard.

Its a bit more than country and western, that one...