Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bathroom refurbishment

I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash basin
and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile the complete
wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix these after tiling
is completed.
thanks for any advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18 12:38:58 +0000, "rocky" said:

I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash basin
and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile the complete
wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix these after tiling
is completed.
thanks for any advice

It's actually the best way to do it - tiling around things always looks bad.

A good approach is to fit the sanitary appliances initially through
spacers (e.g. piece of timber) equivalent to the tile depth and to get
the mechanics right as well as the hook up. Then you can remove
them, complete the tiling and refit easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rocky wrote:
I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash
basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile
the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix
these after tiling is completed.

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance
flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics
you'd probably get away with it.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rocky wrote:
I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash
basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile
the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix
these after tiling is completed.

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance
flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics
you'd probably get away with it.

Unlikely. studs are at 400mm centers and most basins are wide enough to
get pretty close to two, and alway over at least one. And, of course,
its a great opportunity to hack a gash in the plasterboard and screw a
plate of MDF or ply where the basin/cistern is going, to have something
solid to screw into, before you tile..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rocky wrote:
I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash
basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile
the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix
these after tiling is completed.

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance
flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics
you'd probably get away with it.

Unlikely. studs are at 400mm centers and most basins are wide enough to
get pretty close to two, and alway over at least one. And, of course, its
a great opportunity to hack a gash in the plasterboard and screw a plate
of MDF or ply where the basin/cistern is going, to have something solid to
screw into, before you tile..

Also put in plates for the toilet roll holder and towel rail especially if
you have young kids who seem to swing on them. This has saved me a deal of
grief in the past

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 00:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rocky wrote:
I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash
basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile
the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix
these after tiling is completed.

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance
flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics
you'd probably get away with it.

Unlikely. studs are at 400mm centers and most basins are wide enough to
get pretty close to two, and alway over at least one. And, of course,
its a great opportunity to hack a gash in the plasterboard and screw a
plate of MDF or ply where the basin/cistern is going, to have something
solid to screw into, before you tile..

One thing to watch for though - _ just refitted my bathroom and did
the tiling first - then fitted sink/toilet afterwards.
I bought the "Barcelona" suite from B&Q and, aparrently by design, the
toilet cistern doesn't fit flush against the wall - there is a gap
behind the top of the cistern.

According to the manufacturer, you are now supposed to ask if the
toilet you are buying is designed to be fitted against a wall or "free-
standing".
Sounds ridiculous to me, but something to watch for nonetheless.
(Barcelona is B&Q's entry level priced bathroom suite - and aside from
the toilet issue is great quality/value).

Mark.

Micrometer refurbishment (partial) [email protected] Metalworking 4 August 25th 07 01:37 PM
Desk refurbishment Hugh UK diy 11 December 31st 06 04:39 PM
Old hand tool refurbishment - do it or leave as is? Woodworking 5 October 30th 06 07:08 PM
Solar Panel Refurbishment Vortex UK diy 2 February 12th 06 01:00 PM
Shed Refurbishment Christopher Key UK diy 14 August 4th 05 10:23 AM