Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Desk refurbishment

I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making good - I
think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square profile, legs
that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish -
any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh" wrote in message
I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making good -

think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square profile, legs
that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish -
any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

FWIW I used wax on my desk which gave a nice finish but it is very prone to
ring marking from coffee mugs etc.

If I was to re do it I would use Liberon Finishing Oil which I have used for
other projects - it's easy to apply and gives a robust finish. It finishes
to a soft sheen though rather than a full gloss but I personally prefer
that.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh" wrote in message
I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making good -

think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square profile, legs
that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish -
any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

It depends a little on the degree of abuse you anticipate in the future. The
toughest result comes from solvent based polyurethane. The woodworking
purists will possibly favour a wax finish but this will need re-applying
every few months and will be intolerant to coffee cups etc.

hth

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh wrote:

I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making
good - I think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square
profile, legs that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right
finish - any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

Are you sure it's solid timber rather than veneer on blockboard or
chipboard? If you sand veneer, you're likely to go through to whatever's
below. You may end up having to replace the veneer - which could be
expensive and time consuming.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I was to re do it I would use Liberon Finishing Oil which I have used for
other projects - it's easy to apply and gives a robust finish. It finishes
to a soft sheen though rather than a full gloss but I personally prefer
that.

Dumb question time from someone who hasn't ever tried something like
this, but do you put the oil direct onto the sanded wood, or do you need
to put something else on first ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" wrote in
message t...
If I was to re do it I would use Liberon Finishing Oil which I have used

for
other projects - it's easy to apply and gives a robust finish. It

finishes
to a soft sheen though rather than a full gloss but I personally prefer
that.

Dumb question time from someone who hasn't ever tried something like
this, but do you put the oil direct onto the sanded wood, or do you need
to put something else on first ?

When I use i just apply it straight to the sanded wood, leave ot 10 minutes
and then wipe off with a bit of kitchen roll. Leave it to dry overnight and
then lightly rub down with fine wire wool and repeat. About 3 coats does
nicely generally but more can applied if you wish.

I find it far nicer to use than varnish and you don't have to worry about
brush marks :-)

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I use i just apply it straight to the sanded wood, leave ot 10 minutes
and then wipe off with a bit of kitchen roll. Leave it to dry overnight and
then lightly rub down with fine wire wool and repeat. About 3 coats does
nicely generally but more can applied if you wish.
I find it far nicer to use than varnish and you don't have to worry about
brush marks :-)

Thanks for that - I wonder if there's something in the FAQ about its
usage as yet, or whether it might be worth a wiki entry...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

"Hugh" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks All, for some useful tips - I'll give the Liberon a try first off -
and, Roger, I'll take another look - you could be right - at first glance
timber, but not sure.
They'll be well looked after with light office use, by myself only.
They've been used in student accommodation that I rented out for many years
and have just about every stain known to mankind, but are of good solid
construction nevertheless and as I've just started a new business these will
be ideal.
Thanks again,
Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-30 23:56:01 +0000, "Mark Spice"
said:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in
message t...
[...]

Works well. A couple of things, though.

- If the wood contains tannin (e.g. oak), steel wool is not a good
plan. Small pieces
left behind react with tannin and cause black staining of the wood. An
alternative abrasive
should be used for these woods.

- When the kitchen paper/rags have been used they should be put outside
or dunked in a bucket
of water etc. On their own, there is a risk of spontaneous combustion
as they dry out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-30 22:49:15 +0000, "Bob Minchin"
said:

"Hugh" wrote in message
I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making good -

think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square profile, legs
that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish -
any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

It depends a little on the degree of abuse you anticipate in the future. The
toughest result comes from solvent based polyurethane. The woodworking
purists will possibly favour a wax finish but this will need re-applying
every few months and will be intolerant to coffee cups etc.

True, although can be fixed easily and locally. Damage to a varnished
surface requires stripping
and starting again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh formulated the question :
I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making good - I
think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square profile, legs that
bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish - any
particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

As someone else pointed out, that age would probably mean it is a wood
veneer rather than solid wood. It would be unlikely you could sand it
down far enough to get all of the existing varnish out, to enable you
to get a good finish with oil, so I would use a varnish.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

Hugh formulated the question :
I've got a couple of office desks that need sanding down and making
good - I think they are 60s/70s style timber top with metal, square
profile, legs that bolt to the sub-frame that the top sits on.
The question is, what would be the best to use to give the right finish
- any particular kind of varnish or a wax of some sort?
tia
Hugh

As someone else pointed out, that age would probably mean it is a wood
veneer rather than solid wood.

A bit like your head.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g

Old hand tool refurbishment - do it or leave as is? Thanks for ideas Woodworking 0 October 31st 06 12:42 PM
Old hand tool refurbishment - do it or leave as is? Woodworking 5 October 30th 06 07:08 PM
Solar Panel Refurbishment Vortex UK diy 2 February 12th 06 01:00 PM
Shed Refurbishment Christopher Key UK diy 14 August 4th 05 10:23 AM
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine refurbishment [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 26th 05 04:54 AM