Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default bathroom refurbishment

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
rocky wrote:
I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash
basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile
the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix
these after tiling is completed.

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance
flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics
you'd probably get away with it.

Unlikely. studs are at 400mm centers and most basins are wide enough to
get pretty close to two, and alway over at least one. And, of course, its
a great opportunity to hack a gash in the plasterboard and screw a plate
of MDF or ply where the basin/cistern is going, to have something solid to
screw into, before you tile..

Also put in plates for the toilet roll holder and towel rail especially if
you have young kids who seem to swing on them. This has saved me a deal of
grief in the past

Tony