Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marking a laminate worktop?

I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Steve.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:57:43 -0800, dog-man wrote:

I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

A chinagraph pencil.

HTH -
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dog-man" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Put masking tape down, mark the masking tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:57:43 -0800, dog-man wrote:

I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink and
hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy cutting
the hole correctly is critical.

Steve.............

==================================
Find the approximate positions of the holes, cover with masking tape and
pencil accurate position on the tape.

If you want a more 'high-tech' solution buy a pack of CD/DVD marker pens
from a good stationers or computer fair (cost about £1-00). These pens
will write / mark almost indelibly on impervious surfaces.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will see what's best for me.

Steve..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:03:51 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:57:43 -0800, dog-man wrote:

I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

A chinagraph pencil.

HTH -

We used a cd marker pen (obviously you'd want to make sure it'd come
off afterwards)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and you
will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 2:53 pm, John Rumm wrote:
dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and you
will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

Assuming he isn't using a blade that cuts on the downstroke ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:53:16 +0000 John Rumm wrote :
Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and
you will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

Surely for sink and hob openings cutting from the top with a downcut
blade is better, ideally with the top sitting on the units so you
don't have to lift it once you've cut the hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All done now!

I used the masking tape method.

Steve...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

'Sharpie' fine tip marker pen from Staples. Writes on almost any surface.
Much loved by magicians for signing playing cards.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:57:43 -0800, dog-man wrote:

I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

A chinagraph pencil.

HTH -

We used a cd marker pen (obviously you'd want to make sure it'd come
off afterwards)

Doesn't even matter if it doesn't come off, as the sink/hob will overlap
the hole edge by, say, 10mm - so any cut line will easily be hidden.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-13 19:43:57 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

'Sharpie' fine tip marker pen from Staples. Writes on almost any surface.
Much loved by magicians for signing playing cards.

Muched loved in the IT industry as well for fixing tiny scratches on equipment.

What's the thing about signing playing cards? Is this for when you
want to mark one for later reappearance from somewhere completely
different? Of course we all know that it's one that you made earlier.

Do you have an assistant called Sharon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzXJMU1sLc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-13 19:43:57 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the
sink and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

'Sharpie' fine tip marker pen from Staples. Writes on almost any
surface. Much loved by magicians for signing playing cards.

Muched loved in the IT industry as well for fixing tiny scratches on
equipment.
What's the thing about signing playing cards? Is this for when you
want to mark one for later reappearance from somewhere completely
different? Of course we all know that it's one that you made
earlier.

Its to block 'reconstruction' of an effect by a spectator. Any good magic
effect will cause the spectators to try & work out how something that is
clearly impossible could have happened.

Probably the most used effect involving a signed card is 'card to wallet' -
where your signed card appears in the magicians wallet.

If the card is unsigned the obvious 'reconstruct' is that the magician
somehow knew which card you would take & had a duplicate in his wallet.
Hence having the card signed.

Second most obvious 'reconstruct' in this effect is 'one you made earlier'.
Several ways to block this, 'accidentally' smudging the spectators signature
(known as an accidental convincer) or having them draw something or add the
time/date as well as signing the card.

Now the reconstructs are blocked.

My version, from the spectators view; card is chosen at random from a pack
of red backed playing cards. Card signed, signature accidentally smudged
making it unique. Spectators pushes card into middle of deck.

Card later found in the zipped compartment of my wallet, folded neatly into
four, and now has a blue back.

I developed this to increase the mystery. To reconstruct the spectator now
has to work out (a) how did it get into the zipped up compartment, (b) how
did it get neatly folded into four, (c) how come the back colour has changed
from red to blue.

No explanation - therefore it must be magic.

As we say in the trade - its a bit of a knuckle buster (heavy duty sleight
of hand), but a powerful effect so its worth the effort.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Do you have an assistant called Sharon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzXJMU1sLc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I developed this to increase the mystery. To reconstruct the
spectator now has to work out (a) how did it get into the zipped up
compartment, (b) how did it get neatly folded into four, (c) how
come the back colour has changed from red to blue.
No explanation - therefore it must be magic.

It's obviously all done with the microminiature photocopier inside the
top hat....

Curses...............

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to dog-man, Mr Whyles wrote:
Put a tape on first - Cleanroom Tape from Walther Strong is excellent for this
type of application,

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...op-435957-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2018 12:14, Mr Whyles wrote:
replying to dog-man, Mr Whyles wrote:
Put a tape on first - Cleanroom Tape from Walther Strong is excellent
for this
type of application,

Don't you think there's a fighting chance the kitchen has been ripped
out and replaced in the intervening 10 years?

Someone had already mentioned 'masking tape' without any attempts of
spamming.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:14:04 GMT, Mr Whyles
m coalesced the
vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

replying to dog-man, Mr Whyles wrote:
Put a tape on first - Cleanroom Tape from Walther Strong is excellent for this
type of application,

I suppose when your company's net worth is less than the cleaner's
salary your, marketing budget is unlikely to stretch further than
Newsgroup spamming
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 November 2007 14:53:16 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and you
will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

That depends on if you're using a handsaw or a power saw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and you
will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

That depends on if you're using a handsaw or a power saw.

Does anyone cut a worktop with a handsaw?

I thought the right way to do this is to cut roughly to size with a saw
then trim it with a router? I ask, because the last time I tried it did
not go very well, and I have one to do in the flat I am about to
renovate for my daughter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dog-man wrote:
I will shortly be cutting holes in a kitchen worktop to house the sink
and hob.

What is best to use to mark the shape to be cut?

I tried pencil, but it does not show up very well, and obvioulsy
cutting the hole correctly is critical.

Turn the worktop over and mark the underside. Cut it that way and you
will get far less chipping of the laminate as well.

That depends on if you're using a handsaw or a power saw.

Does anyone cut a worktop with a handsaw?

I thought the right way to do this is to cut roughly to size with a saw
then trim it with a router? I ask, because the last time I tried it did
not go very well, and I have one to do in the flat I am about to
renovate for my daughter.

The overlap of the sink is generous enough to cover any rough edges left by a jigsaw which would be my choice of tool
Mark with a felt tip pen