Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi boilers

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:05:50 +0000, Bazza wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Bazza wrote:

I have nowhere else I can put the tank so I was thinking of a combi
boiler system for the rads and hot water.
I am sure lots of you have experience of these but I have a few
questions.

You get what you pay for to an extent. So go with decent brands and at
the higher end of the power specs on the boiler and it will do what you
want.

At present I have a 20 year old Wickes boiler 45k btu(works fine apart
from replacing the pilot stat every few years) on a Y plan system,
this is hung on the wall in the kitchen, would a combi be a fairly
straight forward replacement.

The procedure needs a little planning, but is not that difficult. When I
did mine it went something like:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/boiler.htm

The present shower over the bath is a pumped system, can the pump be
dispensed with when using a combi (understand combi's use mains
pressure, mine is ok but with hard water)

Yup, you can't generally pump mains water, and the hot will be at mains
pressure.

The loft tank only feeds the hot water cylinder and the power shower,
all cold taps, appliances and WC's are mains fed

Which makes life simpler. If you are replacing the shower anyway you
don't even need to worry about the shower feed particularly.

Combi(condensing) boilers used to have a bad reputation for failing,
has this improved on recent models?

See Ed'd boiler choice FAQ,

Have you got a link for this?

he spells out many of the details that tend
to influence the reliability etc. Also remember to compare like with
like - you can't buy a basic cast iron lump with minimal electronics any
more so there is no point comparing a combi with that.

A modern condensing boiler designed to be one from the outset (rather
than a old design that has been reworked to be a condenser later) will
tend to be better.

Any recommendations

Reasonable starting point with links to the other FAQs etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Heating_Design

Thanks John for your input, as the new boiler will have to last for the
next 20 years+? I will do a proper job and not go with the cheapest
available.
Useful information

I have not posted much in this thread as the usual flame war has arisen.
link to FAQs below.

The boiler one is 20 years out of date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

I have not posted much in this thread as the usual flame war has arisen.
link to FAQs below.

The boiler one is 20 years out of date.

Just either do something about it or **** off them

stop whinging, stop sniping, present your alternative

or

shut the **** up

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote:

See Ed'd boiler choice FAQ,

Have you got a link for this?

Yup:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

( it was in the wiki article as well ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Bazza wrote:

See Ed'd boiler choice FAQ,

Have you got a link for this?

Yup:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

( it was in the wiki article as well ;-)

It is 20 years out of date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Bazza wrote:

See Ed'd boiler choice FAQ,

Have you got a link for this?

Yup:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

( it was in the wiki article as well ;-)

It is 20 years out of date.

So (only) you say. Unless you can provide better, it hardly matters.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Bazza wrote:

[...]

You can't pump mains water, unless you have special permission.

combi boilers again!! richman UK diy 64 August 12th 05 11:54 PM
Combi boilers Kate11171 UK diy 41 June 14th 05 01:45 PM
100,000 BTU Combi Boilers Andrew UK diy 7 April 19th 05 12:45 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM