Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When gas boiler fires up hob flames dim

I notice a big drop in pressure when my gas boiler fires up and I am
cooking - is something wrong? it's always been like this - bothe the
boiler and hob have seperate runs from near the gas meter so they're
not both on teh same piece of pipe or anything.

If the gas is on low on the hob when the boiler kicks in it can put
the hob out occassionally - the pressure drop seems worst when the
boiler first fires up. - also the boiler is 10 or 20 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
405 TD Estate writes:
I notice a big drop in pressure when my gas boiler fires up and I am
cooking - is something wrong? it's always been like this - bothe the
boiler and hob have seperate runs from near the gas meter so they're
not both on teh same piece of pipe or anything.

If the gas is on low on the hob when the boiler kicks in it can put
the hob out occassionally - the pressure drop seems worst when the
boiler first fires up. - also the boiler is 10 or 20 years old.

It's going to be necessary to measure the gas pressure with
either one and both appliances operating. Would also be useful
to know the power inputs of both appliances and the size, length
and number of bends on the common pipe before they split apart.
From the too little information provided, it sounds like it
could be Transco's regulator which isn't working correctly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 00:55:34 -0800, 405 TD Estate wrote:

I notice a big drop in pressure when my gas boiler fires up and I am
cooking - is something wrong? it's always been like this - bothe the
boiler and hob have seperate runs from near the gas meter so they're
not both on teh same piece of pipe or anything.

If the gas is on low on the hob when the boiler kicks in it can put
the hob out occassionally - the pressure drop seems worst when the
boiler first fires up. - also the boiler is 10 or 20 years old.

Read the relevant section in the gas fitting FAQ.
You have a fairly serious problem which might just be someone else
responsibility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, 405
TD Estate scribeth thus
I notice a big drop in pressure when my gas boiler fires up and I am
cooking - is something wrong? it's always been like this - bothe the
boiler and hob have seperate runs from near the gas meter so they're
not both on teh same piece of pipe or anything.

If the gas is on low on the hob when the boiler kicks in it can put
the hob out occassionally - the pressure drop seems worst when the
boiler first fires up. - also the boiler is 10 or 20 years old.

Suggest you get Transco out, and soon, to see if their regulator is
delivering what it should.

This just shouldn't happen!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, 405
TD Estate writes
I notice a big drop in pressure when my gas boiler fires up and I am
cooking - is something wrong? it's always been like this - bothe the
boiler and hob have seperate runs from near the gas meter so they're
not both on teh same piece of pipe or anything.

If the gas is on low on the hob when the boiler kicks in it can put
the hob out occassionally - the pressure drop seems worst when the
boiler first fires up. - also the boiler is 10 or 20 years old.

HAve you accidentally knocked the lever on the gas inlet so that it's
not fully open ?

--
geoff