Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Boiler fires intermittently

So here's the situation. I have a Weil-McLain oil fired boiler with
an older Beckett burner (by older I mean that the boiler is probably
original to the house, 1940 ish, and the burner slightly newer).
Recently I have noticed that the burner will fire for a second or two,
and then shut off, only to repeat the process a few minutes later.
This happens regardless of thermostat setting. The thing is, it
doesn't always happen. Sometimes the system will work like a champ
for days.

Last night I finally got worried enough that the temp in the house was
going to continue to drop, so I called a service company. The guy I
got on the phone told me to check the Cad Eye Sensor to make sure it
was clean. Turns out I don't have one...I have an older stack
switch. The service guy that came out today spent about 15 seconds in
front of the boiler, pronounced that my stack switch was bad, charged
me $99 bucks and left.

So, does it sound like my stack switch is bad? What does that mean,
(repeated questions to the service tech only got me half-assed
answers).

Any and all opinions are welcomed.

BTW, I know that I should just replace the boiler, but the 3k to do it
hasn't arrived yet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

When is the last time you had that thing serviced?

Oil-fired burners require annual maintainance. The electrodes burn away,
for one thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clint wrote:
[...]

Well, the "stack switch, aka Protect-o-relay" includes all
the line voltage controls/connections for the burner motor and ignition.

If the burner motor AND ignition completely stop during the
intermittent off period, it *could* be due to a poor contact on
the relay or even at the terminal board.

If the intermittent continues, leave the cover off and see
if the relay(s) drop out.

And don't rule out some intermittent condition in the
branch circuit feeding the burner.

Get some more clues before throwing any money at it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are any number of possibilities, some having nothing to do with the
burner or stack relay. Depending upon what controls are on the boiler, and
how they're wired, it could be a bad switching relay for a circulator or
high limit aquastat, possibly even the thermostat

"Clint" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Mar 2007 13:06:11 -0800, "Clint"
wrote:

[...]

How do you know that? Why do you say you know that? The way out of
problems is not always to have lots of money and spend lots of money.

One should only spend what needs to be spent, and he shouldn't be
embarrassed to fix something instead of replacing it.

You're half way there, since you're asking how to fix it, but you
still seem in the back of your mind to think you should just replace
the boiler.

(And replacing things often comes with its own problems.)

but the 3k to do it
hasn't arrived yet...

combi boiler intermittently misfiring gavin UK diy 3 February 26th 07 09:43 PM
Warmflow Oil Boiler leveled UK diy 3 April 8th 06 09:23 PM
When boiler fires hob flames go down Seri UK diy 17 December 17th 04 09:37 AM
Boiler intermittently fails to light Bob Smith \(UK\) UK diy 17 November 12th 04 07:57 AM
boiler fires on and off constantly - Biasi Riva Jon UK diy 4 July 18th 04 11:17 AM