Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi boiler intermittently misfiring

My Ariston "euro-combi" boiler has an intermittent problem. Sometimes
it will take anywhere between two and dozens of attempts to fire up
and stay lit. When it does this, the boiler flame lights, but them
immediately goes out. It's almost as if the boiler thinks the flame
has failed to ignite, when that is clearly not the case. Occasionally
the boiler will refuse to fire at all for a period of time.

The symptoms get much worse when the boiler has been recently used -
for example one person can have a shower without problems, then five
minutes later the next person will find that the boiler will not fire
at all. Turning the power to the boiler off and on, or turning the
hot tap off and on can encourage it to try to fire again, but
frequently it appears that the boiler must cool down before it will
fire again and stay lit. The central heating can be affected the
same way, but is much less of an issue than the shower going cold half-
way through.

I have had this investigated, but without success as the problem is
intermittent, and I've so far not been able to reproduce it with a
plumber/central heating engineer present. Does anyone have any ideas
as to what could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks very much,

Gavin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 05:56:19 -0800, gavin wrote:

My Ariston "euro-combi" boiler has an intermittent problem. Sometimes
it will take anywhere between two and dozens of attempts to fire up
and stay lit. When it does this, the boiler flame lights, but them
immediately goes out. It's almost as if the boiler thinks the flame
has failed to ignite, when that is clearly not the case. Occasionally
the boiler will refuse to fire at all for a period of time.

I'm not familiar with this make & model of boiler but it sounds as if the
boiler has a flame detection system which is playing up, so that the
burner sometimes fires OK but the flame detection 'thinks' it hasn't and
shuts down again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 13:56, "gavin" wrote:
[...]

Hi gavin, the common fault is the air pressure switch. Check the
ventures and pipes for scale or debris
hope you sort it
pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 05:56:19 -0800, gavin wrote:

My Ariston "euro-combi" boiler has an intermittent problem. Sometimes
it will take anywhere between two and dozens of attempts to fire up
and stay lit. When it does this, the boiler flame lights, but them
immediately goes out. It's almost as if the boiler thinks the flame
has failed to ignite, when that is clearly not the case. Occasionally
the boiler will refuse to fire at all for a period of time.

I'm not familiar with this make & model of boiler but it sounds as if the
boiler has a flame detection system which is playing up, so that the
burner sometimes fires OK but the flame detection 'thinks' it hasn't and
shuts down again.

Grey module (CAME2 FF1) - low voltage flame sense which isn't normally a
problem

Maybe it needs a service

--
geoff