Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos in storage heaters?

As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fido" wrote in message
ups.com...
As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Yes, absolutely full of it, clear the area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, absolutely full of it, clear the area.

I assume that is tongue in cheek :-)

Earliest storage heaters did use asbestos cement board,
affected heater part numbers are listed on the web. As
a rule they tend to be very old, very big, very inefficient.

Later storage heaters (1985+) used rockwood & silica
as plain white slab, thin board inside a woven covering.
Silica is actually a waste product, originally developed
by ICI, used in refractory linings & cat conv matrices.
Microtherm, the typical tradename, allows far higher
st/htr temperatures to boost efficiency - but still poor.

S/Htrs are 40-220kg+ of which 25-190kg is the bricks
so ensure every brick removed before moving a heater.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 10:43:30 -0800, fido wrote:

As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Not in my experience. They mainly constitute heating elements similar
to cooker rings but a different shape, and firebricks.

You could save the firebricks and use them to build a barbeque or
Tandoori oven -sometime.

If you come across any frangible fibrous insulation (unlikely) avoid
breaking it up and wear a facemask. AIUI not all of the risk
insulation fibres relates to asbestos.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes older ones do, and the asbestos may have crumbled into dust.

I found a web listing of models containing asbestos when I was
removing mine - and one did indeed contain asbestos in poor condition.

If you must remove the bricks take sensible precautions. Ideally get
it outside first. Spread out plastic sheeting. Spray water to dampen
down anything fibrous. Bag everything as soon as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 10:43:30 -0800, fido wrote:

As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Your landlord has to get rid of them as they are his and not yours?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov, 20:27, Mogga wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 10:43:30 -0800, fido wrote:
As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Your landlord has to get rid of them as they are his and not yours?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Thanks for all your replies. The website I accessed indicates I'm ok.
We volunteered to get rid of the storage heaters, anything to keep the
landlord happy, and hopefully discourage him from increasing the rent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fido wrote:
On 4 Nov, 20:27, Mogga wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 10:43:30 -0800, fido wrote:
As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

Your landlord has to get rid of them as they are his and not yours?
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for
deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk Or get it delivered for free

Thanks for all your replies. The website I accessed indicates I'm ok.
We volunteered to get rid of the storage heaters, anything to keep the
landlord happy, and hopefully discourage him from increasing the rent.

I hope you've put them on ebay - you can get a few quid for them if they're
in half way decent condition! (Collection only!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fido wrote:
As our landlord is installing gas central heating we have to get rid
of the old storage heaters. The only way we can do this is by
dismantling them. Are they likely to contain any asbestos?

no.

Storage heaters Oshiponga UK diy 6 April 23rd 04 01:59 AM
Storage Heaters Michael McNeil UK diy 14 January 28th 04 10:40 AM
storage heaters DavidD UK diy 1 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
Storage heaters HELP!!!!!!!! lioneluk UK diy 11 December 14th 03 09:09 PM
Asbestos in Storage Heaters? DKSanders UK diy 3 October 8th 03 08:35 PM