Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to find 'H' section extruded aluminium to join two sheets of 10mm board.

After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders
merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extruded
aluminium strip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.
i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't
show the gap between the boards and give me some support in the
vertical alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 19:42:54 +0000, Tom wrote:

After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders
merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extruded
aluminium strip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.
i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't show
the gap between the boards and give me some support in the vertical
alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?

==================================
This kind of section is commonly used for connecting plastic soffit boards
but of course it's plastic, so won't be as strong as aluminium. Depending
on the length (and weight) of your boards this might do for your job, if
you can't find aluminium section.

You might also check in B&Q, who stock a range of metal tubes
and extrusions.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote in message
news
After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders
merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extruded
aluminium strip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.
i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't
show the gap between the boards and give me some support in the
vertical alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?

Something like

http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/6...zing_bars.html

or even, if you really need to add stiffness, one of the heavier-duty
types?

Wickes probably sell something similar, but perhaps only in pvc.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Nov, 19:42, Tom wrote:
After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders
merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extruded
aluminium strip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.
i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't
show the gap between the boards and give me some support in the
vertical alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?

At a (good) plumbers merchant or a builders merchant who sells Mermaid
board or equivalent. Most plumbers merchants sell Mermaid or one of
the other brands of cladding for showers and bathrooms. I know for
certain that Ridgeons in the East Anglian region stock it and Grahams
plumbers (part of the Jewson chain I think) certainly have it 'cos
I've bought some recently.

--
Calvin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

At a (good) plumbers merchant or a builders merchant who sells Mermaid
board or equivalent.

Would that be aluminium, or any metal for that matter?

I have been scouring the online stock metal suppliers but 'H' section
seems to be a less common extrusion. I need metal because there is a
heat source beneath the panels which will soften a plastic section.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Nov, 22:47, Tom wrote:
At a (good) plumbers merchant or a builders merchant who sells Mermaid
board or equivalent.

Would that be aluminium, or any metal for that matter?

I have been scouring the online stock metal suppliers but 'H' section
seems to be a less common extrusion. I need metal because there is a
heat source beneath the panels which will soften a plastic section.

It's aluminium H-section specifically designed to fit the panelling.
In the case of Grahams (although I think the Mermaid stuff is so
similar as to be nearly identical) the panel is nominally 10.5mm and
the gap in the H is nominally 11m. As is normal with this stuff the
bit which goes at the back is wider than the bit at the front so you
get a sort of lop-sided H which makes it easier to nail to the wall.
It comes in 2.4m lengths to match the panel size. IIRC it's between
£7 and £12 a strip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 08:10, Calvin wrote:
On 1 Nov, 22:47, Tom wrote:

[...]

Have a look at this stuff (first google that I found) but it's half
that price in other places:

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...?Category=1791

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 1 Nov, 22:47, Tom wrote:
[...]

What about suspended ceiling fitters. Try Shop & Office re-fitters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Nov, 19:42, Tom wrote:
After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders
merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extrudedaluminiumstrip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.
i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't
show the gap between the boards and give me some support in the
vertical alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?

You should check out http://www.powerofaluminium.com

- It is a great resource for anythig Aluminium related.