Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Hospital Cleaning

OT but my irritation is boiling over.

Whenever this important topic of hospital cleaning is mentioned on the news
we are shown images of corridor floor being cleaned.

What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean door
handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds, cupboards, bed
tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ covered hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
OT but my irritation is boiling over.

Whenever this important topic of hospital cleaning is mentioned on the
news we are shown images of corridor floor being cleaned.

What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean
door handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds,
cupboards, bed tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ
covered hands.

I think that a modern hospital would fall to pieces if it were steamed
cleaned.
Drylined studwork walls are not up to it.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
OT but my irritation is boiling over.

Whenever this important topic of hospital cleaning is mentioned on the
news we are shown images of corridor floor being cleaned.

What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean
door handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds,
cupboards, bed tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ
covered hands.

I think that a modern hospital would fall to pieces if it were steamed
cleaned.
Drylined studwork walls are not up to it.

I had one of my factories plastered with a plaster designed for hospital
use. It replaced the cement skim previously used in hospitals and is very
impact resistant.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
OT but my irritation is boiling over.

Whenever this important topic of hospital cleaning is mentioned on the news
we are shown images of corridor floor being cleaned.

What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean door
handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds, cupboards, bed
tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ covered hands.

probably because to film patients would require permission from them and
their RMO in addition to the hospital management.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nightjar
writes
I think that a modern hospital would fall to pieces if it were steamed
cleaned.
Drylined studwork walls are not up to it.

I had one of my factories plastered with a plaster designed for
hospital use. It replaced the cement skim previously used in hospitals
and is very impact resistant.

Obviously not used in the hospitals I frequent then.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Polypropylene cladding as used in food factories?
That can be steam cleaned without difficulty.

Copying "Lloyds building" for all services on the
outside, requires a huge amount more land tho.
Allows the "entire building to be steam cleaned",
removes ceiling tiles & assocated services etc.

Many do not look particularly well designed, I
think we have only just managed to avoid the
"airborne sneeze in one ward ends up next door".
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean door
handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds, cupboards, bed
tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ covered hands.

I reckon patient's notes are the worst for this. Trollied from place to
place, handled by lots of people many of whom are not in the vicinity of
the patient so not inclined to wash hands between each set of notes.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
.uk...
In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean
door
handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds, cupboards,
bed
tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ covered hands.

I reckon patient's notes are the worst for this. Trollied from place to
place, handled by lots of people many of whom are not in the vicinity of
the patient so not inclined to wash hands between each set of notes.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Agreed - germ ridde clipboards. Do they get a clean? Probably not - you
can't do it with a sit-on machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean door
handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds, cupboards, bed
tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ covered hands.

I reckon patient's notes are the worst for this. Trollied from place to
place, handled by lots of people many of whom are not in the vicinity of
the patient so not inclined to wash hands between each set of notes.

I asked why they had them, and not a simple hand held barcode scanner
and keyboard carried by every nurse..just scan the barcode to the bed or
on the patents arm..voila! full details.

Would seem to make more sense than a billion pound computer system that
doesn't even work..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
Copying "Lloyds building" for all services on the
outside, requires a huge amount more land tho.

It shouldn't really, because the building inside can be made a bit smaller
because all the services are on the outside... I doubt with the cost of
land in London there was much wasted space on the Lloyds building.

Allows the "entire building to be steam cleaned",
removes ceiling tiles & assocated services etc.
Many do not look particularly well designed, I
think we have only just managed to avoid the
"airborne sneeze in one ward ends up next door".

There is very little that can't be cleaned and disinfected with a
scrubbing brush, detergent and bleach.

Although the concentration of bleach recommended in the WHO disinfection
manual is rather high and, if you use it, the room is not very habitable for
a while after. Good practice also calls for a minimum of two different types
of disinfection agent, used alternately. In our clean room, we used bleach
and alcohol wipes.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
OT but my irritation is boiling over.

Whenever this important topic of hospital cleaning is mentioned on the
news we are shown images of corridor floor being cleaned.

Perhaps because that is the dirty part. Not only is street dirt trailed in
on feet, but all the bits of human skin and hair, with their attached
bacteria, end up there too.

What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment, clean
door handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs, beds,
cupboards, bed tables, etc - the things that people can touch with germ
covered hands.

Human to human contact is generally a much greater risk. When I used to make
medical devices, the staff did not need to wear gloves because the amount of
bioburden transferred to the product from their hands, which we tested on
every batch, was at least a couple of orders of magnitude below that needed
for successful sterilisation. It was not unusual for the lab to be unable to
grow anything from the hard surface swabs taken in the room.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment,
clean door handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs,
beds, cupboards, bed tables, etc - the things that people can touch
with germ covered hands.

I reckon patient's notes are the worst for this. Trollied from place
to place, handled by lots of people many of whom are not in the
vicinity of the patient so not inclined to wash hands between each set
of notes.

I asked why they had them, and not a simple hand held barcode scanner
and keyboard carried by every nurse..just scan the barcode to the bed or
on the patents arm..voila! full details.

Would seem to make more sense than a billion pound computer system that
doesn't even work..

What amazes me is that everything is put onto cleaning, surely that is
only part, everyone involved in hospitals should be more involved. When
visiting it is not uncommon to see several children sitting and playing
around the sick persons bed, nurses wear their uniforms outside the
hospital. Perhaps it is time to go back to the old ways, strict times
for visiting, maximum of two people per patients and staff must change
out of uniform when going off duty. Not popular, but I think necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip It was not unusual for the lab to be unable to
grow anything from the hard surface swabs taken in the room.

Colin Bignellsnip

It's not only stuff that grows that can be a problem.... toxins &
pyrogens for instance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
[...]

Some of this is creeping in to our local hospital. But I still have concerns
about things like plugs, handles and drip stands. (Incidentally - why do
nurses always thump a 13 amp plug so that it eventually breaks the socket?
Is it a woman thing - or a professional standard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Incidentally - why do
nurses always thump a 13 amp plug so that it eventually breaks the socket?
Is it a woman thing - or a professional standard?

Must be a woman thing, my wife insists on fully tightening the sink taps
thus knackering the tap washers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant510
@ntlworld.com says...
What I want from a hospital cleaning service is: Clean equipment,
clean door handles and light switches, taps, toilet seats, chairs,
beds, cupboards, bed tables, etc - the things that people can touch
with germ covered hands.

I reckon patient's notes are the worst for this. Trollied from place
to place, handled by lots of people many of whom are not in the
vicinity of the patient so not inclined to wash hands between each set
of notes.

I asked why they had them, and not a simple hand held barcode scanner
and keyboard carried by every nurse..just scan the barcode to the bed
or on the patents arm..voila! full details.

I think you underestimate the quantity of data that's being moved.
(Though the system I use most does seem to process data at a speed a
Burroughs B800 would be ashamed of.)

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip It was not unusual for the lab to be unable to
grow anything from the hard surface swabs taken in the room.

Colin Bignellsnip

It's not only stuff that grows that can be a problem.... toxins &
pyrogens for instance.

How many people wander around with toxins on their hands at sufficiently
high levels for a transfer from them to an inanimate object, followed by a
transfer from that to another human, followed by a transfer to a patient at
a level that will be a hazard to a patient? If there are any, they probably
won't be wandering around long.

Colin Bignell

HOSPITAL CAGE J T Woodworking 0 May 11th 07 01:29 PM
Bird flu vet IS NOT dying in hospital Steve Walker UK diy 0 February 7th 07 09:26 PM
Can a hospital bed go upstairs? [email protected] UK diy 59 June 1st 06 01:45 AM
Orange hospital oulets Bob Vaughan Home Repair 8 October 24th 05 05:08 PM
Hospital bed motors? GTO69RA4 Metalworking 2 June 15th 04 07:36 AM