Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing stuck bath panel

Hello,

I need to remove our bath panel. Its got a lip that fits under the
bath and it's stuck in place. I know some have an adjustable bit at
the bottom you can unscrew, but this does not; it's at its minimum
height. It really is wedged in.

What's the best way to proceed? I was thinking of putting a screw in
one corner and pulling on that. After removing it, I could put a small
handle where the screw was to tidy up the hole and aid removal in the
future.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-18 15:59:11 +0100, Fred said:

Hello,

I need to remove our bath panel. Its got a lip that fits under the
bath and it's stuck in place. I know some have an adjustable bit at
the bottom you can unscrew, but this does not; it's at its minimum
height. It really is wedged in.

What's the best way to proceed? I was thinking of putting a screw in
one corner and pulling on that. After removing it, I could put a small
handle where the screw was to tidy up the hole and aid removal in the
future.

Thanks.

Angle grinder?

Blow torch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-18 15:59:11 +0100, Fred said:

Hello,

I need to remove our bath panel. Its got a lip that fits under the
bath and it's stuck in place. I know some have an adjustable bit at
the bottom you can unscrew, but this does not; it's at its minimum
height. It really is wedged in.

What's the best way to proceed? I was thinking of putting a screw in
one corner and pulling on that. After removing it, I could put a small
handle where the screw was to tidy up the hole and aid removal in the
future.

Thanks.

Angle grinder?

Blow torch?

Has the bath subsided a bit? If so, can you lift it slightly to relieve
pressure on the panel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote

I need to remove our bath panel. Its got a lip that fits under the
bath and it's stuck in place. I know some have an adjustable bit at
the bottom you can unscrew, but this does not; it's at its minimum
height. It really is wedged in.

What's the best way to proceed? I was thinking of putting a screw in
one corner and pulling on that. After removing it, I could put a small
handle where the screw was to tidy up the hole and aid removal in the
future.

Check that there are no screws through the bottom inch or so into a floor
mounted baton.
Really needs to be dragged out from the bottom first to allow room to
disengage the top lip from behind the bath edge IYSWIM.
Your idea of screwing something in low down sounds good, maybe one each end
will be required and pull simultaneously on both.
Can be aggravating if it is not only tight top/bottom but also wedged in at
each end!
If one end has been cut to fit, then the stiffening "return" may well be
missing making this end more flexible ie easier to wangle something behind
once you have started it moving.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fred, Jim wrote:
I have just had the same problem. I slid a small Alan key under the panel and
turned it so the L was pointing up behind the panel. With a strong pair of
grips I got slot of purchase and was able to drag the panel out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...el-430624-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 15:44:04 UTC+1, Jim wrote:
replying to Fred, Jim wrote:

I have just had the same problem. I slid a small Alan key under the panel and
turned it so the L was pointing up behind the panel. With a strong pair of
grips I got slot of purchase and was able to drag the panel out.

Maybe he's waited 12 years to hear that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim m wrote:
replying to Fred, Jim wrote: I have just had the same problem. I slid a
small Alan key under the panel and turned it so the L was pointing up

^^^^ should be Allen

behind the panel. With a strong pair of grips I got slot of purchase and
was able to drag the panel out.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fred, Jim wrote:

I have just had the same problem. I slid a small Alan key under the panel
and turned it so the L was pointing up behind the panel. With a strong
pair of grips I got slot of purchase and was able to drag the panel out.

Maybe he's waited 12 years to hear that.

Still useful for others even now.

I managed to end up with the drop in top of the latest Coopers
beer fermenter down behind the washing machine because the
laundry is where I brew the beer. It was so far down I couldnt
reach if and was considering making a hook to hook it out.
Didnt think to use an alan key visegripped a long rod etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 04:25:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I have just had the same problem. I slid a small Alan key under the panel
and turned it so the L was pointing up behind the panel. With a strong
pair of grips I got slot of purchase and was able to drag the panel out.

Maybe he's waited 12 years to hear that.

Still useful for others even now.

You just HAD to auto-contradict again, eh, you clinically insane senile
pest? LOL

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the person who wrote the message sorting algorithm on Home owners club
Usenet interface has a lot to answer for.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

bath panel tony g UK diy 4 August 26th 06 08:17 AM
Removing cast iron bath panel jen Home Repair 1 August 6th 06 03:10 PM
Bath Panel [email protected] UK diy 2 October 30th 05 10:28 PM
Removing Stuck Sink Supply Lines Dick Home Repair 1 March 5th 05 06:04 PM
Kohler Bath Drain Popup Stuck Michael Roback Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 12:53 AM