Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealer to use on different surfaces?

My flat has one of those PVC (plastic?) front doors set into the (old) wooden
frame. Although it's all pretty secure, there are cracks/gaps which were
probably created when the new door was put in, but never rectified.

Is there any widely-available sealant I can use to cover these up - i.e.
something that will adhere well to PVC/wood/paint?

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Mark wrote:
My flat has one of those PVC (plastic?) front doors set into the (old)
wooden frame. Although it's all pretty secure, there are cracks/gaps
which were probably created when the new door was put in, but never
rectified.

Is there any widely-available sealant I can use to cover these up - i.e.
something that will adhere well to PVC/wood/paint?

Silicone is the common one which will adhere to virtually anything but of
course won't take paint. So unless you can find a suitable self coloured
one - it comes in clear, white, black, brown - you'd best use a
polyurethane sealer.

Here's a reasonably priced source if you can't find it locally - but check
for postage costs before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSTIK--POLYURETHANE-SEALANT_W0QQitemZ320164185017QQcmdZViewItem

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
sh.com...
My flat has one of those PVC (plastic?) front doors set into the (old)
wooden
frame. Although it's all pretty secure, there are cracks/gaps which were
probably created when the new door was put in, but never rectified.

Is there any widely-available sealant I can use to cover these up - i.e.
something that will adhere well to PVC/wood/paint?

Cheers ... Mark

http://www.ifi.eu/faq.asp?c=33745

Midway down the page.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
My flat has one of those PVC (plastic?) front doors set into the (old) wooden
frame. Although it's all pretty secure, there are cracks/gaps which were
probably created when the new door was put in, but never rectified.

Is there any widely-available sealant I can use to cover these up - i.e.
something that will adhere well to PVC/wood/paint?

Cheers ... Mark

Try acryclic frame sealer.
It takes paint, which silicone doesn't.

Not as rubbery as silicone, so make sure frame is well fixed in place first.

Tiling / surfaces Colin Wilson UK diy 4 September 27th 07 12:10 PM
Surfaces for tiling... stevelup UK diy 22 January 5th 07 08:53 PM
Help with sticky surfaces Dan-the-K Woodworking 15 June 2nd 06 04:15 PM
Sealer Choice 15 Stone Sealer Question miamicuse Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 03:48 PM
New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 03:59 PM