Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulated consumer unit for garage

Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 1, 10:20 am, wrote:
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

All the ones I have seen are flimsy...I'd recommend terminating the
SWA into an adaptable box underneath the consumer unit.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

On Oct 1, 10:20 am, wrote:
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight
of the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

All the ones I have seen are flimsy...I'd recommend terminating the
SWA into an adaptable box underneath the consumer unit.

Steve

I terminated mine in a bit of aluminium angle, screwed to the wall right by
the entry to the CU - using a piranha fitting to attach the earth cable.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

I put in a MK Sentry and wasn't aware of it being flimsy though I used a
side entry knock-out. (don't think there was a knockout on the lower edge)

You said "distorted by the weight". There is no weight with a properly
supported and dressed SWA cable, so that is the real answer. Leave the
final fixing of the consumer unit until the gland position is finalised if
you have problems getting the length exactly right.

Jim A

garage consumer unit Paul Green UK diy 0 July 3rd 06 12:15 AM
garage consumer unit Paul Green UK diy 0 July 3rd 06 12:11 AM
Garage consumer unit...are tails needed? LittleMissTerious UK diy 24 June 22nd 06 09:45 PM
Is it legal to for me to change the garage consumer unit Steve UK diy 22 January 24th 06 12:20 PM
Terminating SWA at insulated consumer unit Andy Hall UK diy 14 September 11th 03 09:52 PM