DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulated consumer unit for garage (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/216177-insulated-consumer-unit-garage.html)

[email protected] October 1st 07 10:20 AM

Insulated consumer unit for garage

Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

stevelup October 1st 07 11:46 AM

On Oct 1, 10:20 am, wrote:
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

All the ones I have seen are flimsy...I'd recommend terminating the
SWA into an adaptable box underneath the consumer unit.

Steve

Roger Mills October 1st 07 11:51 AM

stevelup wrote:

On Oct 1, 10:20 am, wrote:
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight
of the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Thanks

All the ones I have seen are flimsy...I'd recommend terminating the
SWA into an adaptable box underneath the consumer unit.

Steve

I terminated mine in a bit of aluminium angle, screwed to the wall right by
the entry to the CU - using a piranha fitting to attach the earth cable.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Jim Alexander[_2_] October 1st 07 12:23 PM

Insulated consumer unit for garage

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

I have a SWA cable feeding power into my garage and I need a plastic
consumer unit with a lower edge that isn't distorted by the weight of
the cable/cable gland.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

I put in a MK Sentry and wasn't aware of it being flimsy though I used a
side entry knock-out. (don't think there was a knockout on the lower edge)

You said "distorted by the weight". There is no weight with a properly
supported and dressed SWA cable, so that is the real answer. Leave the
final fixing of the consumer unit until the gland position is finalised if
you have problems getting the length exactly right.

Jim A

John Rumm October 2nd 07 12:15 AM

wrote:

Can anyone recommend an insulated consumer unit (i.e. not metal) that
is sturdy please?

Is your garage going to have an independent TT earth? If not, you can
use a metal CU.

Most of the consumer units I've looked at seem quite flimsy.

Use adequate cable restraint on the SWA and it becomes a non issue.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |