Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium ladders

Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I am
guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe, but I
also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I won't use
too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to handle/control
the ladder and not end up smashing my windows! Unfortunately my mates with
ladders all own houses that are less tall and therefore borrowing one has so
far been unsucessful :-(

Cheers,
Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew Ames wrote:

Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I am
guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

These are pretty good:
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_alloy.htm

I got my scaffold tower off of them, and a roofing company manager I
know also buys all of their ladders from them.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
These are pretty good:
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_alloy.htm

I got my scaffold tower off of them, and a roofing company manager I
know also buys all of their ladders from them.

Thanks!

Is there a recommended angle that a ladder should be set to? that way I can
actually work out the lenght I require!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Matthew Ames
writes
Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I am
guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe, but I
also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I won't use
too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to handle/control
the ladder and not end up smashing my windows! Unfortunately my mates with
ladders all own houses that are less tall and therefore borrowing one has so
far been unsucessful :-(

I bought a good one last year for £127

no website - just a hardware store 10 minutes walk away

(St Albans Road, Watford) - they delivered

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew Ames wrote:

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

I would steer clear of the domestic ones, they are usually too flimsy
unless you are a fly weight. Trade or industrial to BS EN 131 will feel
far more stable and secure.

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe, but I
also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I won't use
too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to handle/control
the ladder and not end up smashing my windows! Unfortunately my mates with
ladders all own houses that are less tall and therefore borrowing one has so
far been unsucessful :-(

I have had a couple from Screwfix and have been pleased with them. Not
the cheapest you will find but well made and solid.

The angle to use is about 75 degrees, or 1 unit out for every 4 up. So
for the ladder top to reach 9m, the base would be 2.25 from the wall, so
a ladder length of 10m would do it. If you want to climb onto a surface
at that height, then you need a ladder that will reach at least a meter
past the surface level.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section
ladder from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m
length, so I am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe,
but I also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I
won't use too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to
handle/control the ladder and not end up smashing my windows!
Unfortunately my mates with ladders all own houses that are less tall
and therefore borrowing one has so far been unsucessful :-(

Cheers,
Matt

http://www.midlandladders.net/
quick delivery and tidy price, gave me a refund for a bracket I bought
which seemed poorly made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gna03633 wrote:
Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section
ladder from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m
length, so I am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat &
delivery

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe,
but I also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I
won't use too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able
to handle/control the ladder and not end up smashing my windows!
Unfortunately my mates with ladders all own houses that are less tall
and therefore borrowing one has so far been unsucessful :-(

Whatever you do, buy one of these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/530039

Makes such a difference to the stability of the ladder and avoids those
'brown trouser' feelings.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew Ames" wrote in message
Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I
am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

How heavy are you? Domestic ladders have a duty rating of 95kgs and maximum
static load of 125kgs. Industrial ladders have a duty rating of 130kgs
/static load 175kgs. As they now meet EU specifications, trade ladders no
longer have a duty rating, but their static load rating is 150kgs. IMO
domestic ladders are too flimsy to be considered.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nightjar
scribeth thus

"Matthew Ames" wrote in message
Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I
am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

How heavy are you? Domestic ladders have a duty rating of 95kgs and maximum
static load of 125kgs. Industrial ladders have a duty rating of 130kgs
/static load 175kgs. As they now meet EU specifications, trade ladders no
longer have a duty rating, but their static load rating is 150kgs. IMO
domestic ladders are too flimsy to be considered.

Colin Bignell

The domestic ladder is OK for very low heights but one thing overlooked
is the spacing between rungs, these can be further apart on some cheap
ladders which makes them more awkward to use.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 08:57, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
How heavy are you? Domestic ladders have a duty rating of 95kgs and maximum
static load of 125kgs. Industrial ladders have a duty rating of 130kgs
/static load 175kgs. As they now meet EU specifications, trade ladders no
longer have a duty rating, but their static load rating is 150kgs. IMO
domestic ladders are too flimsy to be considered.

Colin Bignell

Odd isn't it that ladders which high street stores are allowed to sell
to people who are less likely to be experienced at climbing ladders,
let alone reviewing duty rating measurements etc, are the lowest rated
and therefore the most dangerous (potentially). I know they don't
have to stand up to the same battering that trade / industrial ones
are likely to receive, but 95kg isn't a particularly heavy chap (in
this day and age), so the amount of domestic ones which are being used
outside of their safe operating range must be large!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
How heavy are you?

69.4kg at the mo, but need to loose a few kg of beer from my belly... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Matthew Ames
writes
"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
How heavy are you?

69.4kg at the mo, but need to loose a few kg of beer from my belly... :-)

You'd blow away in the wind, you would

(110 kg)

--
geoff

New Ladders Arthur 51 UK diy 6 July 25th 07 08:52 PM
Ladders- where do I go? [email protected] Home Repair 5 November 20th 06 05:29 PM
Ladders The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 August 26th 06 02:08 PM
Ladders MrBlueSkye UK diy 10 October 19th 05 09:45 PM
Ladders David W.E. Roberts UK diy 7 August 11th 03 07:38 PM