Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surround Sound TV

I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark MarkSPAM@reepham2
003.force9.co.uk scribeth thus

I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

mark

I'm sure I've seen something for that purpose but you could get a white
blank wall plate and put something like this thereon.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&U=SearchTop&T
=SPERKER%20CONNECTORS&doy=21m9

There is a speaker connector also called a "speakon"..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&U=SearchTop&T
=SPERKER%20CONNECTORS&doy=21m9

copy and paste that into your browser..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Mark MarkSPAM@reepham2
003.force9.co.uk scribeth thus

I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

mark

I'm sure I've seen something for that purpose but you could get a white
blank wall plate and put something like this thereon.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&U=SearchTop&T
=SPERKER%20CONNECTORS&doy=21m9

I did exactly that, and it looks good and appears to work.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

Usual thing to do is fit a one gang backing box then make up a socket
using a blank plate to match your other sockets etc with either an an XLR
or Speakon - both available from Maplin etc. If you don't fancy making
such a thing, a 3 pin 2 amp plug/ socket will be fine also for low powered
TV surround speakers.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

Take care to maintain the correct speaker phasing.
I have seen many installations where the user has
labelled the channels correctly, but has ended up
with one or more speakers wired with the wrong
polarity.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark wrote:
I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

Usual thing to do is fit a one gang backing box then make up a socket
using a blank plate to match your other sockets etc with either an an XLR
or Speakon - both available from Maplin etc. If you don't fancy making
such a thing, a 3 pin 2 amp plug/ socket will be fine also for low powered
TV surround speakers.

Thanks for all the answers guys, will get myself down to Maplin soon.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message

I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

Take care to maintain the correct speaker phasing.
I have seen many installations where the user has
labelled the channels correctly, but has ended up
with one or more speakers wired with the wrong
polarity.

Guilty as charged! I have noticed in the past that one of the cables is
marked with a rib or a black line.
What is the risk?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
I am going to cut TV speaker wires to the wall prior to skimming with
plaster.

Is there a purpose made termination?

Having a wires poking out of the wall seems a bit basic.

Usual thing to do is fit a one gang backing box then make up a socket
using a blank plate to match your other sockets etc with either an an XLR
or Speakon - both available from Maplin etc. If you don't fancy making
such a thing, a 3 pin 2 amp plug/ socket will be fine also for low powered
TV surround speakers.

Thanks for all the answers guys, will get myself down to Maplin soon.

Many years ago I used a similar arrangement with DIN loudspeaker
plugs/sockets - slightly smaller than 'normal' DIN connectors and
having one pin and one blade - ·| style.

Quite dated nowadays - the plug wasn't terribly secure in the socket;
the connector wasn't really suitable for very high power (but that
isn't really relevant for surround sound; and the plugs (and sockets)
were fiddly to wire as the connections were quite close together.

Nowadays I'd use either 2A 3 pin, or 4mm banana plugs/sockets (which
give you the ability to play about with phasing!).

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nowadays I'd use either 2A 3 pin, or 4mm banana plugs/sockets (which
give you the ability to play about with phasing!).

I'm trying to think what a 3pin 2A socket looks like. Obviously smaller than
a 3 pin 13amp.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_2/index.html

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Take care to maintain the correct speaker phasing.
I have seen many installations where the user has
labelled the channels correctly, but has ended up
with one or more speakers wired with the wrong
polarity.

Guilty as charged! I have noticed in the past that one of the cables is
marked with a rib or a black line.
What is the risk?

You won't damage anything, but if near exactly between the speakers you'll
lose the soundstage and bass to some extent.

It's quite easy to check the phase with decent speakers. Feed them with a
speech source - say R4 etc and if possible switch the amp to mono. Sitting
in a good listening position - ie at the point of a triangle where the
speakers are the base - the speech should come from exactly between them,
as if there was only one speaker in the middle. Reverse the phase of *one
only* and check again. The voice should now come from near anywhere in the
room - except from between the speakers. Where it does come from will
depend on the room acoustics.

Another good check involves moving the speakers so they are side by side
and close. Feed a music signal with a bass line - ie near any pop music.
Out of phase the bass will be much reduced.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If you don't fancy making such a thing, a 3 pin 2 amp plug/
socket will be fine also for low powered TV surround speakers.

But do not use it if you already use 2A sockets for dimmer lighting.
Incompetencies do happen :-(

Indeed - although this is unlikely since the OP doesn't know what they
look like. And by the sound of it are to be wall mounted so not likely to
get confused with table lamp circuits.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that