Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vents for underfloor space

Have been told that we should replace some of our old style vents and
put new style vents in (and add an extra one) to get more airflow
under the floor.

What difference is there in old and new styles? Do they allow more air
flow or did he not fancy just adding a new one on it's own?

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:
Have been told that we should replace some of our old style vents and
put new style vents in (and add an extra one) to get more airflow
under the floor.

I have to do this too.

What difference is there in old and new styles? Do they allow more air
flow or did he not fancy just adding a new one on it's own?

I don't know the answer. The plastic ones seem to have less resistance
to airflow on the face of it but the old clay types have kept
underfloors dry in many properties for years.

I guess that there is no real need for a large blowing under the
building, rather a movement of air that would keep underfloor from
suffering from damp humid stagnant conditions that would help rot
develop especially in awkward corners that were not vented.

I am going to fit traditional clay vents (to fit in with the house) in
two places to improve ventilation where that problem has come to light.
I do, however have the advantage that I have ripped up all the
floorboards so can see what has been happening over the years :-(

Like you, I would be interested in comments regarding the pro's and
con's of the available airbricks.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:46:54 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Mogga wrote:
[...]

I'd had an idea after we got a hat with a mini solar panel and a fan
that a solar version could assist in air movement. So I had a search:

http://www.solarvent.com.au/products.htm
this place in Oz does solar vents
and this place does wind powered
http://www.subfloor-ventilation.com....n-turbine.html
They seem to have many colours on this site unlike the UK diy sites
which have two that I've seen.

We've got a crawl space that's big enough to get down into so we can
get down into and have a look about and we know we need some more at
the front so if airflow is the same there's only a need to put one new
one in.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve writes:
Mogga wrote:
Have been told that we should replace some of our old style vents and
put new style vents in (and add an extra one) to get more airflow
under the floor.

I have to do this too.

What difference is there in old and new styles? Do they allow more air
flow or did he not fancy just adding a new one on it's own?

They've got a larger free air space, so you might not need as many.
They are also available with insect screens and clip off fronts
for cleaning (also found that useful for getting 3m lengths of pipe
under the floor when installing central heating).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve writes:
Mogga wrote:
Have been told that we should replace some of our old style vents and
put new style vents in (and add an extra one) to get more airflow
under the floor.

I have to do this too.

What difference is there in old and new styles? Do they allow more air
flow or did he not fancy just adding a new one on it's own?

They've got a larger free air space, so you might not need as many.
They are also available with insect screens and clip off fronts
for cleaning (also found that useful for getting 3m lengths of pipe
under the floor when installing central heating).

Where from?

Any good builders merchant.
Possibly DIY sheds, but I don't recall seeing them there.

--
Andrew Gabriel