Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Lightbulbs in Enclosed Fittings

I have two lights on the ceiling of my bathroom and I have been using
GE 60 watt ES bulbs that Screwfix used to sell at 10 bulbs for
peanuts but they no longer sell them .

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE
Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at
the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings" so I just stuck
in two 60 watt candle bulbs that I got as well.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7138.aspx

Do these Low Energy bulbs give off more heat than normal bulbs
...surely not ..so why are they not recommended for enclosed fitings .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart B" wrote in message
I have two lights on the ceiling of my bathroom and I have been using
GE 60 watt ES bulbs that Screwfix used to sell at 10 bulbs for
peanuts but they no longer sell them .

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE
Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at
the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings" so I just stuck
in two 60 watt candle bulbs that I got as well.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7138.aspx

Do these Low Energy bulbs give off more heat than normal bulbs
..surely not ..so why are they not recommended for enclosed fitings .

The complicated bits don't cope with the heat. There may be less of it, but
it still gets warm in there.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:25:33 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Stuart B" wrote in message
.. .
I have two lights on the ceiling of my bathroom and I have been using
GE 60 watt ES bulbs that Screwfix used to sell at 10 bulbs for
peanuts but they no longer sell them .

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE
Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at
the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings" so I just stuck
in two 60 watt candle bulbs that I got as well.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7138.aspx

Do these Low Energy bulbs give off more heat than normal bulbs
..surely not ..so why are they not recommended for enclosed fitings .

The complicated bits don't cope with the heat. There may be less of it, but
it still gets warm in there.

cheers,
clive

So just stick to El Cheapos then .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:21:35 +0100 someone who may be Stuart B
wrote this:-

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE
Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at
the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings"

I have used energy saving bulbs in enclosed fittings, some for
decades, without any failing yet.

No doubt they will fail sometime, but I have yet to notice a
problem.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote:

Do these Low Energy bulbs give off more heat than normal bulbs

No, and they don't give out the light that the manufacturers claim
either. An 11W bulb gives an output somwhere between that of a 25W and
40W bulb. And since they take forver to warm up the advantage of lower
consumption is eroded by the need to leave them on unless one likes
banging into things in the dark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE
Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at
the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings"

I have used energy saving bulbs in enclosed fittings, some for
decades, without any failing yet.

No doubt they will fail sometime, but I have yet to notice a
problem.

In the bathroom in our old house I had 15W screwfix spiral CFLs in
"globe" enclosed fittings. Definately brighter than 60W incandescents
that were all the fittings were rated to.

1 bulb lasted a few months, but the other was still going strong 2 years
later as was the replacement for the one that blew.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com