Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Way OT. Turtle in canal!

Her-indoors (who hardly ever is btw), came back from an early morning
walk Sat. with the following story.

Walking by the canal I heard a "plop" sound is if someone had thrown
something inthe water. Looked where it came from and (believe me folks
this is what she said), there was a turtle (tortoise?) swimming there!

I know this is way OT for this NG but as many knowledgable folk live
here, I just wanted to ask can these creatures live ok/long in canal
water? I guess it may be a pet someone just dumped in there. Anyway,
it seemed (I'm told) quote happy and was swimming about ok
occasionally coming to the surface - hence the plopping noise.

otoh global warming could be spreading more quickly that we know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:52:49 +0100, dave
wrote:

Her-indoors (who hardly ever is btw), came back from an early morning
walk Sat. with the following story.

Walking by the canal I heard a "plop" sound is if someone had thrown
something inthe water. Looked where it came from and (believe me folks
this is what she said), there was a turtle (tortoise?) swimming there!

I know this is way OT for this NG but as many knowledgable folk live
here, I just wanted to ask can these creatures live ok/long in canal
water? I guess it may be a pet someone just dumped in there. Anyway,
it seemed (I'm told) quote happy and was swimming about ok
occasionally coming to the surface - hence the plopping noise.

otoh global warming could be spreading more quickly that we know.

probably a terrapin, unwanted pets get dumped in rivers and canals.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Her-indoors (who hardly ever is btw), came back from an early morning
walk Sat. with the following story.

Walking by the canal I heard a "plop" sound is if someone had thrown
something inthe water. Looked where it came from and (believe me folks
this is what she said), there was a turtle (tortoise?) swimming there!

I know this is way OT for this NG but as many knowledgable folk live
here, I just wanted to ask can these creatures live ok/long in canal
water? I guess it may be a pet someone just dumped in there. Anyway,
it seemed (I'm told) quote happy and was swimming about ok
occasionally coming to the surface - hence the plopping noise.

otoh global warming could be spreading more quickly that we know.

probably a terrapin, unwanted pets get dumped in rivers and canals.

I used to work in an office which ran along a small stream.
We used to see the odd one. As you say, they're pets which
have been discarded (or escaped). They can't currently breed
in the wild as it's too cold for their eggs to survive. If
global warming gets the UK back to the temperature it used
to be, then they will become native as they once were.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
Her-indoors (who hardly ever is btw), came back from an early morning
walk Sat. with the following story.

Walking by the canal I heard a "plop" sound is if someone had thrown
something inthe water. Looked where it came from and (believe me folks
this is what she said), there was a turtle (tortoise?) swimming there!

I know this is way OT for this NG but as many knowledgable folk live
here, I just wanted to ask can these creatures live ok/long in canal
water? I guess it may be a pet someone just dumped in there. Anyway,
it seemed (I'm told) quote happy and was swimming about ok
occasionally coming to the surface - hence the plopping noise.

otoh global warming could be spreading more quickly that we know.

Red-eared terrapin, ex-pet as others have said. Nasty bite, becoming a
pest species as they'll eat anything that moves, and the eggs of any
bird they find.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 23:00, Andy Champ wrote:

Red-eared terrapin, ex-pet as others have said. Nasty bite, becoming a
pest species as they'll eat anything that moves, and the eggs of any
bird they find.

Andy

Pests. Unlike a frog the shell blunts the blades in the blender.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, 1501
writes
On 17 Sep, 23:00, Andy Champ wrote:

Red-eared terrapin, ex-pet as others have said. Nasty bite, becoming a
pest species as they'll eat anything that moves, and the eggs of any
bird they find.

Andy

Pests. Unlike a frog the shell blunts the blades in the blender.

Ahh, you need a blendtec...

www.willitblend.com

Although I'm fairly certain they won't have done a turtle or frog.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 8:22 pm, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message .com, 1501
writesOn 17 Sep, 23:00, Andy Champ wrote:

Red-eared terrapin, ex-pet as others have said. Nasty bite, becoming a
pest species as they'll eat anything that moves, and the eggs of any
bird they find.

Andy

Pests. Unlike a frog the shell blunts the blades in the blender.

Ahh, you need a blendtec...

www.willitblend.com

Although I'm fairly certain they won't have done a turtle or frog.

--
Clint Sharp

A turtle in the canal, is that a quote from "The Royal Family"?

post turtle jo4hn Woodworking 24 March 13th 06 08:16 PM
TURTLE TOY BOX J T Woodworking 3 September 26th 05 09:44 PM
Ping Turtle Rich Home Repair 5 June 30th 05 11:03 PM
Root canal or extraction ? Joel M. Eichen Woodworking 32 January 30th 05 03:26 PM
heating system on a canal boat, automatic vent valves stevet UK diy 14 January 11th 05 11:36 PM