Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing old foundations

I am digging the footings for my extension (it should have been the
start of the summer !), and about 3 metres of the new foundation is in
the same location as the old foundations. It turns out these are 3
brick courses down and concrete about 250mm deep 600 wide. Since they
are half as deep down as the new ones, and only about 250mm thick, I
am fairly sure the BCO will want them removed, rather than over-
pouring etc.
I dug out a small area in another location with my SDS drill, drilling
holes though and then chiseling, but it was very hard going and I
think I might need more heavy-duty tools to do this job.
So, what tools should be used to break up and extract a concrete slab
3000 x 600 x 250mm ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SDS Max breaker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
SDS Max breaker.

and a mini digger ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 22:22, " wrote:
SDS Max breaker.

How much more ferociously would you expect SDS max breaker to "break"
than an normal SDS plus drill ?
Would you just go at it from the middle, or have to chip off slivers
as I did with my SDS ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 22:28, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
SDS Max breaker.

and a mini digger ;-)

Hah ! I've started to digging by hand, and its not too bad. I guess
the digger is to remove the concrete chunks.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 16 Sep, 22:22, " wrote:
SDS Max breaker.

How much more ferociously would you expect SDS max breaker to "break"
than an normal SDS plus drill ?
Would you just go at it from the middle, or have to chip off slivers
as I did with my SDS ?

When I had to break up a slab with an ordinary SDS drill, I used it to
sequentially bite off chunks... eg, imagining a line across a corner of
the slab then digging in all along the line until it eventually cracked.
My slab was probably only about 6" deep though.

I'm sure you'd find a bigger tool from a hire shop to be a helluva lot
quicker though - that's certainly been my experience.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...
wrote:
SDS Max breaker.

and a mini digger ;-)

Hah ! I've started to digging by hand, and its not too bad. I guess
the digger is to remove the concrete chunks.

You can get mini diggers with a power take-off to run a hand-held concrete
breaker.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I am digging the footings for my extension (it should have been the
start of the summer !), and about 3 metres of the new foundation is in
the same location as the old foundations. It turns out these are 3
brick courses down and concrete about 250mm deep 600 wide. Since they
are half as deep down as the new ones, and only about 250mm thick, I
am fairly sure the BCO will want them removed, rather than over-
pouring etc.
I dug out a small area in another location with my SDS drill, drilling
holes though and then chiseling, but it was very hard going and I
think I might need more heavy-duty tools to do this job.
So, what tools should be used to break up and extract a concrete slab
3000 x 600 x 250mm ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Mini digger.

Or bigger. About £100 a day or slightly more with a driver.

Dig down lever up and snap.

You will need a big skip or a dump truck, or somewhere to put the useful
hardcore.

Foundations basics Andrew Welham UK diy 8 October 25th 06 08:36 PM
Foundations Lawrence Zarb UK diy 1 August 23rd 06 06:55 PM
firm foundations Chris Hall UK diy 6 January 4th 06 02:39 AM
easier dig 2m foundations [email protected] UK diy 6 November 29th 05 11:56 PM
Getting level foundations puffernutter UK diy 18 August 23rd 05 12:54 PM