Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing old foundations

sm_jamieson wrote:
I am digging the footings for my extension (it should have been the
start of the summer !), and about 3 metres of the new foundation is in
the same location as the old foundations. It turns out these are 3
brick courses down and concrete about 250mm deep 600 wide. Since they
are half as deep down as the new ones, and only about 250mm thick, I
am fairly sure the BCO will want them removed, rather than over-
pouring etc.
I dug out a small area in another location with my SDS drill, drilling
holes though and then chiseling, but it was very hard going and I
think I might need more heavy-duty tools to do this job.
So, what tools should be used to break up and extract a concrete slab
3000 x 600 x 250mm ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Mini digger.

Or bigger. About £100 a day or slightly more with a driver.

Dig down lever up and snap.

You will need a big skip or a dump truck, or somewhere to put the useful
hardcore.