Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hall

Default firm foundations

How do I bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe where the
sewer will be at a right angle to the wall's foundation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Chris Hall wrote:

How do I bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe where the
sewer will be at a right angle to the wall's foundation?

With a lintel?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hall

Will this be a normal door / window type lintel ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:38:36 -0600, "Chris
wrote:

How do I bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe where the
sewer will be at a right angle to the wall's foundation?

set 2 7N blocks in the wall (1 each side), with the tops about 1 inch
above the pipe (distance is not critical). Use a standard concrete
lintel to span the top.

If there is some reason to suspect the load is not just simple walls
and stuff, you will need an engineer to caculate the lintel. But given
the span will be about 6 inches, it should hold up many many times the
weight of the wall.

Assuming this is a new build.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

It depends how wide the pipe is, but generally up to 230mm diameter you
could just shutter around it and leave a 50mm space all around (for any
settlement) and then pour the concrete. More than this size pipe, and
do the shuttering , but throw a couple of re-bars or a small rsj/angle
iron into the concrete just above the pipe

For brickwork, just do the same, but with brick and a concrete lintol
with min 100mm bearing past the 50mm gap.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Chris Hall wrote:
How do I bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe where the
sewer will be at a right angle to the wall's foundation?

This problem was on one of those garden makeover shows a while ago.

Trouble is, I can't remember what they

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:38:36 -0600, Chris Hall wrote:

How do I bridge a foundation/brick wall over a sewer pipe where the
sewer will be at a right angle to the wall's foundation?

standard lintel cut to about 15" IIRC.

leave a bit of a gap around the pipe, and backfill with peashingle.