Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler cost advice

Hi,

My boiler has given up the ghost and I need a new one. I've been given
a quote but, not knowing anything about any of this I've no idea if
it's reasonable or not. It's from someone who's done work for me
before (refitted my bathroom; did a good job as well, I have to
admit).

Anyway, the quote is for a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler, as well as
thermsaver control plan and a power point. A condensation outlet will
be run from the rear of the boiler which will involve removing my back
step and replacing it afterwards. The piping will be power flushed. I
live in a 3 bed terrace.

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

My system was put in from scratch about 2 years ago (Worcester Bosch
SiII 28kw) - including all rads and pipework for (IIRC) £2100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

My system was put in from scratch about 2 years ago (Worcester Bosch
SiII 28kw) - including all rads and pipework for (IIRC) £2100

You got a very good deal. Was it a cowboy job? System cleaned? Balanced?
by-pass valve fitted? etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message t...
I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

My system was put in from scratch about 2 years ago (Worcester Bosch
SiII 28kw) - including all rads and pipework for (IIRC) £2100

You got a very good deal. Was it a cowboy job? System cleaned?
Balanced? by-pass valve fitted? etc?

I thought you did your own work

- or was that the cost for someone to come in and sort the mess out ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message t...
I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

My system was put in from scratch about 2 years ago (Worcester Bosch
SiII 28kw) - including all rads and pipework for (IIRC) £2100

You got a very good deal. Was it a cowboy job? System cleaned? Balanced?
by-pass valve fitted? etc?

I thought you did your own work

Maxie, I do, I do my own work.

- or was that the cost for someone to come in and sort the mess out ?

Let's ask him eh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My system was put in from scratch about 2 years ago (Worcester Bosch
SiII 28kw) - including all rads and pipework for (IIRC) £2100

You got a very good deal. Was it a cowboy job? System cleaned? Balanced?
by-pass valve fitted? etc?

It was a brand new install from scratch by a heating engineer.

Not sure how much of a discount I got by virtue of it being a mate of
my dads' neighbour, who often acts as a second man for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit steep, £500-£700 for a boiler and 2 days work at £250 per day =
£1000-£1200. allow a further 10% for bits and pieces. I'd shop
around...what boiler is it exactly?

Steve

"EasyLay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My boiler has given up the ghost and I need a new one. I've been given
a quote but, not knowing anything about any of this I've no idea if
it's reasonable or not. It's from someone who's done work for me
before (refitted my bathroom; did a good job as well, I have to
admit).

Anyway, the quote is for a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler, as well as
thermsaver control plan and a power point. A condensation outlet will
be run from the rear of the boiler which will involve removing my back
step and replacing it afterwards. The piping will be power flushed. I
live in a 3 bed terrace.

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler. As I said in my original post, the
workman is planning to do some work on my back step to put in an
outflow pipe. It will be a 2 man job over 2 days he says. The boiler +
labour + VAT comes to £2k, which does seem rather high to me.

"EasyLay" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

EasyLay wrote:

Anyway, the quote is for a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler, as well as
thermsaver control plan and a power point. A condensation outlet will
be run from the rear of the boiler which will involve removing my back
step and replacing it afterwards. The piping will be power flushed. I
live in a 3 bed terrace.

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

May depend where you are but here in Central London it would be a bargain.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message
. uk...
EasyLay wrote:

Anyway, the quote is for a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler, as well as
thermsaver control plan and a power point. A condensation outlet will
be run from the rear of the boiler which will involve removing my back
step and replacing it afterwards. The piping will be power flushed. I
live in a 3 bed terrace.

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

May depend where you are but here in Central London it would be a bargain.

--
djc

Not an unreasonably high price IMO, but can vary with areas (London that
would be cheap, mid Wales thats dear), give the gas board a ring if you
fancy getting a right scarey price.

Richard
www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:15:36 +0100, "fullflow plumbing"
wrote:

"djc" wrote in message
.uk...
EasyLay wrote:

[...]

Whether the price is reasonable or not is a matter of personal
opinion, however for what you describe it sounds like the 'going rate'
for the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:15:36 +0100, fullflow plumbing wrote:

"djc" wrote in message
. uk...
EasyLay wrote:

Anyway, the quote is for a Worcestor Bosch 28kw boiler, as well as
thermsaver control plan and a power point. A condensation outlet will
be run from the rear of the boiler which will involve removing my back
step and replacing it afterwards. The piping will be power flushed. I
live in a 3 bed terrace.

I've been given a quote of 2k (which includes VAT) for the above. Is
this a reasonable price for a 2 day job like this, or should I shop
around? Any comments would be appreciated.

May depend where you are but here in Central London it would be a bargain.

--
djc

Not an unreasonably high price IMO, but can vary with areas (London that
would be cheap, mid Wales thats dear), give the gas board a ring if you
fancy getting a right scarey price.

As a guide price 50%-75% of the BG price should be the going rate.

Before anyone complains about how expensive heating engineers are. I
would like to point out that a 2 man operation needs a liability insurance
premium of nearly a thousand quid a year. That premium would be with a
full no-claim discount. I can't help feel that I'm supporting the 'blames
direct' industry feeding off a minority less thorough worker.

With these quotes whether the price is good depends on precisely what or
what isn't included and just what kit is being installed the kit price
can be from £400 to £1100 quid.

Cost of boiler replacement? John UK diy 10 May 23rd 07 11:13 PM
how much does it cost change back boiler to combi boiler [email protected] UK diy 5 October 10th 05 05:38 PM
Advice on home extension cost! ekbowers UK diy 6 August 23rd 05 06:33 PM
Boiler Installation Cost David UK diy 5 May 9th 05 07:00 PM
Boiler cost comparisons John Orrett UK diy 48 October 13th 04 09:12 PM