Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The real cost of runing a Prius

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-14 21:09:47 +0100, raden said:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-09-14 21:09:47 +0100, raden said:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same money.

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

It is crap, but I'm not convinced it's the *real* cost of running a
Pious. The table estimates that the Prius will use only £760 of fuel,
compared to £1029 for BMW 320d. That indicates to me that the RAC didn't
test the real world fuel consumption of the Prius but simply took the
manufacturer's laughable mpg claims as being true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:13:30 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

That and that in traffic jams the engine doesn't need to run at all. Has
anyone done comparative tests for 10-mile tailbacks? :-)

--
John Stumbles

My karma ran over my dogma
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] The real cost of runing a Prius

raden wrote:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

To save everyone else unwrapping the URL

http://tinyurl.com/365qmw

I always a look at acceleration when comparing cars, a slower car is
always more economical.

Prius 0-60 in 10 secs.
Focus 1.6 petrol (the next car in the table) 0-60 in 10.8. (If I have
the right engine)

The Prius saves you £150 in fuel, and costs you an extra grand in
depreciation. Not to mention the environmental problems of battery
disposal.

Prius us about a moderately economical car *in a country where you can't
easily get diesel*. Cue USA... Over here a diesel is a better bet.

Aren't we a bit OT?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:41:19 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

raden wrote:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

To save everyone else unwrapping the URL

http://tinyurl.com/365qmw

I always a look at acceleration when comparing cars, a slower car is
always more economical.

Prius 0-60 in 10 secs.
Focus 1.6 petrol (the next car in the table) 0-60 in 10.8. (If I have
the right engine)

Hmmmm... my car does 0-60 in 10.4, and it's a Ford too....an S-Max! Note
sure it's as economical as a Focus although it does quite well....

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
The Real Doctor wrote:
And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

The Autocar touring route isn't just a steady speed cruise. It's mostly
suburban high streets etc. With traffic lights aplenty. But not solid jams
city rush hour traffic.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-14 21:09:47 +0100, raden said:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and tattooists
bills either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

Ian

The Prius is brilliant to drive. I have one. Only a dope would buy a
noisy, smelly, vibrating diesel. The future and thank God the Prius and
other hybrids are around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:13:30 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

That and that in traffic jams the engine doesn't need to run at all. Has
anyone done comparative tests for 10-mile tailbacks? :-)

If all cars were the Prius in the centre of cities, the noise would be
vastly reduced and the pollution cleaned up dramatically. When you get out
of a Prius into another car they look so dated inside.

The Honda hybrids are also very cheap to run too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
The Real Doctor wrote:
And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

The Autocar

A crap mag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
raden wrote:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

To save everyone else unwrapping the URL

http://tinyurl.com/365qmw

I always a look at acceleration when comparing cars, a slower car is
always more economical.

Prius 0-60 in 10 secs.
Focus 1.6 petrol (the next car in the table) 0-60 in 10.8. (If I have the
right engine)

The Prius saves you £150 in fuel, and costs you an extra grand in
depreciation. Not to mention the environmental problems of battery
disposal.

Prius us about a moderately economical car *in a country where you can't
easily get diesel*. Cue USA... Over here a diesel is a better bet.

Until you drive one of those tractors. Drive a Prius and then one of those
tractors. No competition. Also a Lexus hybrid knocks spots off others in the
same class, in speed and fuel economy. All cars are crocks compared to
hybrids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
raden wrote:

[...]

Also the Prius is one of the most reliable cars in the world. Tops the JD
Power in the US and UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-14 21:09:47 +0100, raden said:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Until you drive one of those tractors. Drive a Prius and then one of
those tractors. No competition. Also a Lexus hybrid knocks spots off
others in the same class, in speed and fuel economy. All cars are
crocks compared to hybrids.

Also the Prius is one of the most reliable cars in the world. Tops the
JD Power in the US and UK.

That will be why it depreciates so heavily. No one believes you.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:13:30 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

That and that in traffic jams the engine doesn't need to run at all.
Has anyone done comparative tests for 10-mile tailbacks? :-)

If all cars were the Prius in the centre of cities, the noise would be
vastly reduced and the pollution cleaned up dramatically.

Is the centre of a city the only important place? It would also be even
quieter and less polluted if everyone walked or rode bikes.

When you get
out of a Prius into another car they look so dated inside.

Just keep your eyes closed while making the transition. It must be the
ugliest car around.

The Honda hybrids are also very cheap to run too.

But Honda had the sense to use a proper engine. As do Lexus. Only the
Prius uses that gutless wonder.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Real Doctor wrote:
And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

The Autocar

A crap mag.

Yes - it's for those who love driving. So obviously no use to you. Perhaps
Commercial Motor would suit better? You could spend ages choosing the best
van to recommend to your boss.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-15 19:12:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Indeed. Notice that I used the phrase "attempting to think".

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Doesn't everyone ?

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

Funny how Drivel goes on about how quiet and green his Prius is, while
claiming also to have a noisy inefficient gas guzzling sports car too

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:13:30 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

That and that in traffic jams the engine doesn't need to run at all.
Has anyone done comparative tests for 10-mile tailbacks? :-)

If all cars were the Prius in the centre of cities, the noise would be
vastly reduced and the pollution cleaned up dramatically.

Is

Please eff off as you are a total idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-14 21:09:47 +0100, raden said:

Can be seen from this table

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/own...s/motor_index_
results/results_q1_06/

Pretty crap really ...

Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos.

You are out of style as usual - Matt you have a mussie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Doesn't everyone ?

Maxie, only plantpots and Chavs.

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

Funny how Drivel goes on about how quiet and green his Prius is, while
claiming also to have a noisy inefficient gas guzzling sports car too

Maxie, the sports car doesn't move much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Doesn't everyone ?

Maxie, only plantpots and Chavs.

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

Funny how Drivel goes on about how quiet and green his Prius is,
while claiming also to have a noisy inefficient gas guzzling sports
car too

Maxie, the sports car doesn't move much.

Same as the Prius then ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Doesn't everyone ?

Something like 3 times less common than 3 Series. ;-) But the E39 is very
possibly the best car of its type ever built. And excellent value these
days secondhand.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Andy Hall wrote:
Especially when one can have a 3 Series for essentially the same
money.

But you have not costed the barbers bills for the bald head and
tattooists bills either.

Umm..... I have neither a bald head, nor any tattoos. What exactly
are you attempting to think about?

I can vouch for that - as you can for me. But I drive a 5 Series.

Doesn't everyone ?

Maxie, only plantpots and Chavs.

No wonder the Prius is so derided if dibble is the stereotype owner.

Funny how Drivel goes on about how quiet and green his Prius is, while
claiming also to have a noisy inefficient gas guzzling sports car too

Maxie, the sports car doesn't move much.

Same as the Prius then ...

Maxie, no. The Prius "zips" along!!!!!! Maxie, the world best car without a
doubt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.
In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.

In a car with an Internal combustion engine, 3/4 of the energy in your tank
is wasted.

In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

CalCars in California make a conversion of a plug-in Prius. They also insert
a larger battery set too. Most people who commute never go over to the
engine as it gets 60 miles on a charge. The commuting cost in mains
electricity is buttons to buying petrol. if the batteries run down the Prius
then acts like a Prius using both motors and charging up the battery set.
Battery technology is catching up with electric motor and computer
management technology.

The all electric Mini:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php

The technology eliminates the need for crude differential gears to share
power between left and right sides. The wheels are in constant communication
with each other deciding 1000 times each second how much torque share is
optimum for the current driving conditions. Should one wheel detect a
slippery surface and take appropriate anti-skid actions, the other wheels
are aware of this instantly and adopt an appropriate compensating strategy
to keep the vehicle as stable as possible. 640 brake horsepower - for life!

Each wheel develops 160bhp - 640bhp in total. The original Mini One develops
less than 100bhp with an engine that weighs nearly double the weight of the
four electric wheels! Apart from wheel bearings there are no wearing parts
in the electric wheels; this means the horsepower stays for the life of the
vehicle - and beyond.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-16, Matty F wrote:

In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

... showing a deep and fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of "total
cost of ownership", particularly from the environmental point of view.

I'm talking about "my driving" in New Zealand where the majority of
electric power is generated from rivers and wind and geothermal
energy.
The majority of the "total cost of ownership" for my car is for
petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Matty F writes
On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.
In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

So what, you're using electricity - the energy is just being generated
elsewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message .com, Matty
F writes
On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.
In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

So what, you're using electricity - the energy is just being generated
elsewhere

Maxie, when the electricity is being generated in local stations and at
night (why do they have cheap overnight energy?), the situation is very
different. Also, pollution is kept away from millions of lungs in towns and
cities. Maxie, don't you think that is fabulous?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...

'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.
In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

An engine is also pretty inefficient driving a generator to charge a
battery to run electric motors.

A *diesel* engine is marvelously efficient at part throttle. Its full
throttle where the black smoke comes out that is the bugger.

The real answer is that if you are short haul urban, you best bet is a
fully electric car, charged off the mains, and if you are doing the
suburban/motorway thing, a full turbo diesel is as good as it gets.

Nowhere does a hybrid really make sense. Particularly with fuel taxed
far more aggressively than mains electricity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-16, Matty F wrote:

In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

... showing a deep and fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of "total
cost of ownership", particularly from the environmental point of view.

I'm talking about "my driving" in New Zealand where the majority of
electric power is generated from rivers and wind and geothermal
energy.

You are still ignoring TCO, because the batteries etc are not a
zero-cost option either in terms of cash or in terms of environmental
damage. Indeed current mutterings about Prius battery life leave a
suspicion that the battery issue will become very apparent within a few
years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Sep 15, 8:13 pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Sep, 00:25, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And on the Autocar touring route the 330d (a *very* fast car) actually
gave more mpg than the Prius...
'Swhat you'd expect. The only real advantage a hybrid has is
regenerative braking in towns. At speed it's just like any other car.

A conventional engine is very inefficient when it's running at under
about two thirds of full throttle. So a hybrid should be more
efficient unless you are going very fast or towing a trailer.
In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need to
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

An engine is also pretty inefficient driving a generator to charge a
battery to run electric motors.

A *diesel* engine is marvelously efficient at part throttle.

A diesel doesn't have a throttle. It is full air all the time. Duh!

Nowhere does a hybrid really make sense.

My God!! he really doesn't know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

On 2007-09-16, Matty F wrote:

In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

... showing a deep and fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of
"total
cost of ownership", particularly from the environmental point of view.

I'm talking about "my driving" in New Zealand where the majority of
electric power is generated from rivers and wind and geothermal
energy.

Indeed current mutterings about Prius battery life leave a
suspicion that the battery issue will become very apparent within a few
years.

An 8 years guarantee on the battery and transmission unit. Isn't that fab!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-16, Matty F wrote:

In addition if the batteries can be charged overnight, I won't need
use *any* petrol at all for most of my driving.

... showing a deep and fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of
"total
cost of ownership", particularly from the environmental point of view.

I'm talking about "my driving" in New Zealand where the majority of
electric power is generated from rivers and wind and geothermal
energy.

Indeed current mutterings about Prius battery life leave a
suspicion that the battery issue will become very apparent within a few
years.

An 8 years guarantee on the battery and transmission unit.

No, it's 8 years or 100,000 miles on the battery, control module, hybrid
control module and inverter. And it is 3 years/60,000 miles on the
transmission. The only way that anyone will get up to 8 years is not to
drive the vehicle, which is probably the best option.

Isn't that fab!

It's another sign that you don't own a Prius.

It's also interesting that the Prius depreciates faster and deeper than
my monster 4x4 which does just a few mpg. A 100,000 mile Prius is worth
just about absolutely ****-all. A monster V6/V8 is just about run in at
that mileage and will, in general, be good for another 140,000 miles
without major work.

Not that I expect your tiny, addled, brain to understand any of this.

[OT] Prius bashing Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 221 July 24th 07 02:23 PM
2 Thermostats runing on 1 power source connected to furnance [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 9th 07 04:37 PM
International Real Estate Directory -Find Real Estate, Rentals, Real Estate Services, Real Estate Agents and Brokers. MyDirectory Home Repair 0 December 28th 06 08:57 PM
Prius Steve Firth UK diy 22 December 19th 05 01:27 PM
The real cost of barn conversion philt UK diy 28 October 16th 05 12:52 PM