Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Document safe recommendations

Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks
etc for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

And how much should I be paying?

Anyone got any recommendations? Or is it a case of going to a security
company and getting someone else to put one in? Are they red rags to a
bull for a burglar?

Comments and thoughts wanted

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:22:40 +0100, Nozza wrote:

Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks etc
for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

And how much should I be paying?

Anyone got any recommendations? Or is it a case of going to a security
company and getting someone else to put one in? Are they red rags to a
bull for a burglar?

Comments and thoughts wanted

Noz

==================================
A good range of safes and other security items to browse at:

www.machinemart.co.uk

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:22:40 +0100, Nozza wrote:

Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks etc
for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

I once was in a hotel room abroad with a safe similar to that.

It had one obvious security flaw.

Each of the keys on the keypad produced a different audible
tone, so you had to hope any passing chambermaid etc.
did not have an ear for music!

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Graham. wrote:
"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:22:40 +0100, Nozza wrote:

Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks etc
for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

A locksmith recommended the type with a key rather than a combination
lock. It is likely that average thief will try to open the safe by
damaging the lock, they probably won't succeed but will cause sufficient
damage to the exposed mechanism that you will need a locksmith to open it.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nozza" wrote in message
Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks
etc for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

And how much should I be paying?

Anyone got any recommendations? Or is it a case of going to a security
company and getting someone else to put one in? Are they red rags to a
bull for a burglar?

Comments and thoughts wanted

A mate asked me a very similar question a while back. I'd either get a very
secure safe, or none at all. I'm talking something like a floor safe
concreted in. My mate was thinking along similar lines to you - Identity
theft, documents etc. The problem is, if anyone breaks into your house,
they're going to most likely see the safe and assume it's got something
worth having in, and will either take it with them, or sell the info to
someone else who will come back and have a go at it on a later date. Indeed,
my first reaction when my mate mentioned a safe was that he wanted somewhere
to keep several grand in cash until he could get to a bank

IMO the best thing you can do with documents and the like is to put them
really out of the way, like behind a bookcase or in the loft. Cars are
insured, and unless they're worth serious cash, I wouldn't worry about
people stealing the keys. I'd much rather have my car nicked than my house
gone through by someone trying to get at a safe - bolt it to a wall, and
they'll rip it out, and then you've got to have builders in and the like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 07:51:28 +0100, "Doki" wrote:

"Nozza" wrote in message
.. .
Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks
etc for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

And how much should I be paying?

Anyone got any recommendations? Or is it a case of going to a security
company and getting someone else to put one in? Are they red rags to a
bull for a burglar?

Comments and thoughts wanted

I used to have a friend who was a very professional burglar and he
reckoned that the safest place to put things is in a hollowed out book
in a bookcase, because he would never have time or inclination to
search through a bookcase (always assuming you are the sort of person
who has books in the house). He said that the riskiest place to put
things is in the sock drawer - everyone does it so it would be one of
the first places he'd look

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 07:51:28 +0100, "Doki" wrote:

"Nozza" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In the loft - bolted to a ceiling joist. Don't leave a loft ladder in the
house if you go on holiday. Bury it under the usual loft junk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try cpc.farnell.com.

They've got a variety of safes. I've got three. A largish one for house
deeds, cheque books, currency, passports etc, and two smaller ones, one
for jewellery and the other for software masters, data disks and sticks.
They screw to a solid wall with bolts you have to use a spanner for. No
doubt a well-equipped burglar could eventually prise them off the wall
with a jack hammer but most burglaries are not done by people like that.
They're very cheap, less than £20, and I'm well pleased with them. I use
ones with a number code that you choose when you install them.

Nozza wrote:
Would like some recommendations for a document safe.

Would like to lock away spare keys, car keys, vehicle reg documents,
passports etc (not cash/jewellery)

Don't know what sort to get.

Have looked at various websites, but none seem to show BS Kite marks
etc for safes.

What are the battery powered LCD/LED enter a keycode safe like eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7001026.htm

And how much should I be paying?

Anyone got any recommendations? Or is it a case of going to a security
company and getting someone else to put one in? Are they red rags to a
bull for a burglar?

Comments and thoughts wanted

Noz

Composed using Mozilla Thunderbird and virus checked using Grisoft AVG

Peter Scott