Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Remote Control Appliance Switch

I need a remote control switch €“ I have a new printer with an
inaccessible power switch. (I can reach but partner cant.)

If I am going to get one €“ I might as well get two, or three or even
four. (I really cant see my needing any more than that as an absolute
maximum.) That would allow a couple of other ideas to be implemented in
the near future.

Looking around I have seen lots of possible devices. I went off X10
(largely due to cost and possibly giving way to something else in the
future). So really looking at the proprietary ones.

From what I have seen the Domia Lite range look OK. So I am thinking of
getting a remote plus two (or three?) appliance switches.

Anyone care to suggest another make? Or even another approach? Or a
competitive online supplier?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=5&Category=Cables&ThumbNails=Ye s&FilterCategories=88&FilterManufacturers=611

--
Thanks
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I need a remote control switch - I have a new printer with an inaccessible
power switch. (I can reach but partner can't.)

If I am going to get one - I might as well get two, or three or even four.
(I really can't see my needing any more than that as an absolute maximum.)
That would allow a couple of other ideas to be implemented in the near
future.

Looking around I have seen lots of possible devices. I went off X10
(largely due to cost and possibly giving way to something else in the
future). So really looking at the proprietary ones.

From what I have seen the Domia Lite range look OK. So I am thinking of
getting a remote plus two (or three?) appliance switches.

Anyone care to suggest another make? Or even another approach? Or a
competitive online supplier?

B and Q had 3 switches and single remote control for £14.97 reduced from
£24 ish - today sorry nomake remembered

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ageless" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message
I need a remote control switch - I have a new printer with an inaccessible
power switch. (I can reach but partner can't.)

If I am going to get one - I might as well get two, or three or even
four. (I really can't see my needing any more than that as an absolute
maximum.) That would allow a couple of other ideas to be implemented in
the near future.

Looking around I have seen lots of possible devices. I went off X10
(largely due to cost and possibly giving way to something else in the
future). So really looking at the proprietary ones.

From what I have seen the Domia Lite range look OK. So I am thinking of
getting a remote plus two (or three?) appliance switches.

Anyone care to suggest another make? Or even another approach? Or a
competitive online supplier?

B and Q had 3 switches and single remote control for £14.97 reduced from
£24 ish - today sorry nomake remembered

Will killing the mains allow it to shut down properly. Most go through a
shut down routine when the Off button is pressed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
Will killing the mains allow it to shut down properly. Most go through a
shut down routine when the Off button is pressed.

I wondered that - but have been assured that it will be fine
(apparently, the proper switch is just that - a mains switch). Inded,
when I searched old posts to uk.d-i-y, one of the references was to
someone doing precisely this on a LaerJet (not sure which model).

Thanks for making the point. Even if it didn't work for the printer for
some reason, I'd still want to try my other ideas out. And thanks,
Ageless, will have a look at B&Q, but I couldn't find any mention of
such devices on their (useless) web site.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
And thanks, Ageless, will have a look at B&Q, but I couldn't find any
mention of such devices on their (useless) web site.

I couldn't find it either when I looked for the make but w only went to B&Q
on saturday morning when SWMBO told me I saw them :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Ageless wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

And thanks, Ageless, will have a look at B&Q, but I couldn't find any
mention of such devices on their (useless) web site.

I couldn't find it either when I looked for the make but w only went to B&Q
on saturday morning when SWMBO told me I saw them :-)

Are you looking for the type of switch which is on sale at Lidl next
Monday the 17th?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...Socket_Set.ar3
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PJ wrote:
Ageless wrote:

snip

I couldn't find it either when I looked for the make but w only went
to B&Q on saturday morning when SWMBO told me I saw them :-)

Are you looking for the type of switch which is on sale at Lidl next
Monday the 17th?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...Socket_Set.ar3

Yes - I was. Damn, damn, damn.

Local B&Q had an over-priced Byron model but none of the Domia (nor any
other make).

I eventually ordered online. Nearest Lidl is a pain to get to - at least
it is during the hours they are open.

I also noticed that several models are only rated 1000 W (some only 300
or 500 or some such). The ones I have ordered are at least rated at 3000
W - so not as unhappy as I might have been.

Thanks anyway.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I need a remote control switch €“ I have a new printer with an inaccessible
power switch. (I can reach but partner cant.)

If I am going to get one €“ I might as well get two, or three or even four.
(I really cant see my needing any more than that as an absolute maximum.)
That would allow a couple of other ideas to be implemented in the near
future.

Looking around I have seen lots of possible devices. I went off X10
(largely due to cost and possibly giving way to something else in the
future). So really looking at the proprietary ones.

From what I have seen the Domia Lite range look OK. So I am thinking of
getting a remote plus two (or three?) appliance switches.

Anyone care to suggest another make? Or even another approach? Or a
competitive online supplier?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=5&Category=Cables&ThumbNails=Ye s&FilterCategories=88&FilterManufacturers=611

--
Thanks
Rod

Nowhere near as cheap, but Z-Wave products are very good and mor reliable
and extensible than X10. Depends on how into the home automation you want to
get really. Not a huge range available here in Blighty that is soon to
change. I have a couple of light dimmer modules that I use a Harmony 895
(which I already owned) to control. Can be bought he
http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=ZWave, amongst other outlets I'm
sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Piers James wrote:
snip

Nowhere near as cheap, but Z-Wave products are very good and mor
reliable and extensible than X10. Depends on how into the home
automation you want to get really. Not a huge range available here
in Blighty that is soon to change. I have a couple of light dimmer
modules that I use a Harmony 895 (which I already owned) to control.
Can be bought he http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=ZWave,
amongst other outlets I'm sure.

Yes - I was impressed by the talk about Z-Wave - but far too little "out
there" yet. (It was actually being convinced of how much better Z-Wave
could be than X10 that convinced me to avoid X10.) And odd how you see
Z-Wave devices that are CE approved and remotes that are not.

When they are sold by Lidl I will buy them :-)

--
Rod