Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine pipes leaking due to vibration

Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me.

The connection where the washing machine water hose connects to the
copper pipe keeps coming loose and leaking. I think is due to the fact
that the washing machine vibrates against the pipe?

I tried using plumbing tape but it has just started to leak again
after about 6 months.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:
Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me.

The connection where the washing machine water hose connects to the
copper pipe keeps coming loose and leaking. I think is due to the fact
that the washing machine vibrates against the pipe?

I tried using plumbing tape but it has just started to leak again
after about 6 months.

Change the pipe, £3:99 in Wickes.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

You can buy replacement rubber washers that will improve the situation. The
thread is not a seal - you need a rubber washer to seal between the FACE of
the connections. I bought a pack of 6 from Homebase or somewhere.

If the machine is shaking then do not use strops of wood or similar - adjust
the feet!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me.

The connection where the washing machine water hose connects to
the copper pipe keeps coming loose and leaking. I think is due to
the fact that the washing machine vibrates against the pipe?

I tried using plumbing tape but it has just started to leak again
after about 6 months.

Change the pipe, £3:99 in Wickes.

You can buy replacement rubber washers that will improve the
situation. The thread is not a seal - you need a rubber washer to
seal between the FACE of the connections. I bought a pack of 6 from
Homebase or somewhere.

Changing the washer doesn't always sort the problem, the size varies
between manufacturers. I've changed washers & been called back
several times because the leak has started again, so now I change
the hose with 100% success rate..

Toolstation - 88p for washers, £1.42 for a new hose - hmmmm!

Fair enough - the principle being that the thread does not form part
of the sealing. The seal relies on the face of the valve and the face
in the hose having a good seal. Agreed?

Oh absolutely. The problem I have found is that the 'recess' thingy the
washer sits in varies from hose to hose and washers vary from Wickes to
Homebase.

If I change a washer & have to go back I've lost money on the job &
reputation, so I play safe & change the hose. I 100% agree the thread has
nothing to do with the seal.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I 100% agree the thread has
nothing to do with the seal.

IME the thread on the nut has a lot to do with the seal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I 100% agree the thread has
nothing to do with the seal.

IME the thread on the nut has a lot to do with the seal

................only to pull the seal against the faces of the valve and the
flange of the hose.

Can you explain if you feel it is different (we are speaking conventional
washing machine hose I presume).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I 100% agree the thread has
nothing to do with the seal.

IME the thread on the nut has a lot to do with the seal

...............only to pull the seal against the faces of the valve and the
flange of the hose.

Well, yes, exactly. Often they're damaged due to over tightening or
scale on the thread

Can you explain if you feel it is different (we are speaking conventional
washing machine hose I presume).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I 100% agree the thread has
nothing to do with the seal.

IME the thread on the nut has a lot to do with the seal

...............only to pull the seal against the faces of the valve and
the flange of the hose.

Well, yes, exactly. Often they're damaged due to over tightening or scale
on the thread

Can you explain if you feel it is different (we are speaking conventional
washing machine hose I presume).

I agree that they are often damaged - mainly due to a lack of understanding
that there needs to be a good washer in place. Which leads to
overtightening, which on a plastic fitting will lead to the nut splitting.
(Seen it many times)

I draw a parallel with a compression fitting. No tape is needed on the
thread as the thread only serves to compress the olive - which forms the
seal. Tape would be futile as water could leak from the other side of the
nut anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

I agree tape doesn't help the seal, but I use it because it acts as a
lubricant and makes it easier to tighten the nut.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Agreed - so does a spray of white grease, copperslip or a smear of vaseline.
Eases subsequent undoing as well. I always lubricate tap bodies after
re-washering. They always undo really easily then - compared with the
trouble some people have. Too much tape could burst a plastic nut.