Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Placement of gas bottle for cooker

A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Is he in Spain perchance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

I'm glad I don't have to move my cooker to replace a cylinder.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Giggle.

My first thought wasn't about safety, but the way it's such an obviously dim
thing to do. Half-way through tea, the gas runs out. Which means moving the
cooker, hefting the cylinder out, putting a new one in, moving the cooker
back again, and then trying to restore whatever mess you've got left over
into something edible.

That hole will fill with gas nicely - no ventilation. It doesn't appear to
be especially big, so it probably won't take the house down with it when it
goes bang, but it's not something you want to take a risk with.

Tell him to put the bottle outside. And at the risk of being repetitive,
tell him to get a auto-switchover regulator and another bottle while he's at
it so he won't run out of gas halfway through cooking.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:40:58 +0100 someone who may be "Clive George"
wrote this:-

That hole will fill with gas nicely - no ventilation. It doesn't appear to
be especially big, so it probably won't take the house down with it when it
goes bang, but it's not something you want to take a risk with.

Indeed.

Tell him to put the bottle outside.

And take precautions against squirrels and other little things that
might fancy a nibble.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 5:32 pm, "Piers Finlayson" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message

oups.com...

A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Is he in Spain perchance?

Close, France.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 5:40 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I agree, I think the rational behind it was that previously he had a
small cooker with he bottle by the side.
SWBO wanted a bigger cooker hence the move.
I guessing he's not keen on drilling a hole in the wall and having a
bottle outside.
It's a 800 year old stone house with nowhere obvious to hide the
bottle outside.
Not trying to justify what he's done - just some more information for
you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Our house is old and stone too. A nice big drill sorts that out. A simple
wooden housing to put the bottles and regulator in isn't terribly hard to
make, and should look fine. Some sort of wire netting would seem appropriate
as a way of providing the required ventilation and protection against
squirrels.

I'm guessing this is a holiday home, so doesn't get much use. This would
mean the running out of gas thing won't happen every few months, which would
be very tedious. OTOH a little leak while away would fill that void nicely,
and there wouldn't be anybody there to check it.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Charlie writes
I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Nice cooker, maybe not as daft as it first seems, I assume he's trying
to automate the bottle change? All he needs is an ignitor at the bottom
of the hole and a very small gas leak, when the bottle is empty he just
flicks the ignitor and voila, cooker moved, bottle removed from hole and
all ready for the new bottle. Shame about the ceiling but hey...
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
ps.com...

Tell him to put the bottle outside. And at the risk of being repetitive,
tell him to get a auto-switchover regulator and another bottle while he's
at
it so he won't run out of gas halfway through cooking.

cheers,
clive

I agree, I think the rational behind it was that previously he had a
small cooker with he bottle by the side.
SWBO wanted a bigger cooker hence the move.
I guessing he's not keen on drilling a hole in the wall and having a
bottle outside.

Oh poor baby!

It's a 800 year old stone house with nowhere obvious to hide the
bottle outside.

Then he should have a wood burning stove - if he wants to be authentic.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message .com,
Charlie writes
I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

Nice cooker, maybe not as daft as it first seems, I assume he's trying to
automate the bottle change? All he needs is an ignitor at the bottom of
the hole and a very small gas leak, when the bottle is empty he just
flicks the ignitor and voila, cooker moved, bottle removed from hole and
all ready for the new bottle. Shame about the ceiling but hey...

:-)))))

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Charlie writes
A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

There enough clearance to reach under the cooker and turn the gas
valve off, but still I am slightly concerned.

Anybody more qualified than myself prepared to give an advice?

I've popped the photos he proudly emailed me he

http://tinyurl.com/37ovsp
http://tinyurl.com/2vu62f

But this is somewhere forrin

natural selection will take its course

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:03:20 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

Nice cooker, maybe not as daft as it first seems, I assume he's trying
to automate the bottle change? All he needs is an ignitor at the bottom
of the hole and a very small gas leak, when the bottle is empty he just
flicks the ignitor and voila, cooker moved, bottle removed from hole and
all ready for the new bottle. Shame about the ceiling but hey...

Even has a megabarbeque backup mechanism. Changing the regulator
will allow a small amount of gas to leak into the hole. Dropping the
new bottle in to the hole creates spark and sends new bottle into low
earth orbit - flames flash grill operator.

Even by the dire standards of the French this is a pretty daft
design. If you keep the photos safe though then quite soon you may
be able to nominate him for an award http://darwinawards.com/darwin/

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I know next to nothing about gas bottles, but this strikes me as an
explosion just waiting to happen. It used to be called common sense.......

Spoiling me dinner is the last thing I'd worry about.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Charlie
saying something like:

A relative of mine has only just gone and dug a hole in the kitchen
floor put a gas cylinder in it and them put his new freestanding
cooker over the hole. I can't help but think this is not the safest
thing to do

Honestly, that's one of the daftest things I've seen. Comes second to a
mate's house where he proudly showed me where he'd removed a supporting
wall and concrete beam which tied the back wall to the structure.

I suggest you get your relative to do a quick google on "marine gas
bottle explosions".
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2007 13:52, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I suggest you get your relative to do a quick google on "marine gas
bottle explosions".

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ma...0explosions%22

Your search - "marine gas bottle explosions" - did not match any documents.

So must be safe :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns
saying something like:

On 17/08/2007 13:52, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I suggest you get your relative to do a quick google on "marine gas
bottle explosions".

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ma...0explosions%22

Your search - "marine gas bottle explosions" - did not match any documents.

So must be safe :-)

Safe as houses... errm not...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=S earch
--

Dave

PIR placement M.Joshi Electronics Repair 1 October 29th 06 10:08 PM
Radiator placement Beartums Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 11:04 PM
VFD Placement Wayne Metalworking 7 March 22nd 05 11:47 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM