Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brass garden hose connectors

Hey All,

Needed an extra 'hozelok' style connector to go on the garden hose to
supply my Karcher 4.99 pressure washer, and whilst in B&Q I noticed that
they had brass versions for the same price as the genuine plastic
Hozelok connectors. So, I thought if I'm going to be ripped off for 4
quid for one hose connector, it might as well be a nice brass one.
I connected everything up, and the first time I let go of the trigger,
the hose popped off the washer. Hmm I thought maybe it just wasn't on
properly, so tried again.

This time there is a pop, and water starts spraying out of the inside of
the machine. Not usually a good sign. On disassembling the machine, the
fixed inlet pipe has a split right down it's length.
Luckily I discovered that spares are readily available so I've already
ordered one, but my question is, why should this happen? I have since
Googled, and it seems that using the 'stop' connectors with a pressure
washer is a bad idea as it tries to suck in the stop valve, but it is
likely that this is the only reason for the failure? I don't want to
knacker it up again straight after I've fixed it! (I shall be exchanging
the 'stop' version for a normal one in any case).

Cheers,
Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:32:28 +0100, Ben Willcox
mused:

[...]

Never had a problem using the stop connectors on any of my pressure
washers. I have had problems with using brass hose connectors on the
crappy plastic ones on the pressure washer though.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have since
Googled, and it seems that using the 'stop' connectors with a pressure
washer is a bad idea as it tries to suck in the stop valve

However hard the pump sucks, it won't be able to put more than 1 bar (15
psi, one atmosphere) of pressure across the stop valve (in addition to
whatever the water supply pressure is).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

Never had a problem using the stop connectors on any of my pressure
washers. I have had problems with using brass hose connectors on the
crappy plastic ones on the pressure washer though.

The problem only occurs when the machine is used to suck water in. The stop
conector either stops or severly restricts the water flow. On mains
pressure feed it won't cause a problem.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Willcox wrote:
Hey All,

Needed an extra 'hozelok' style connector to go on the garden hose to
supply my Karcher 4.99 pressure washer,

SNIP

This time there is a pop, and water starts spraying out of the inside
of the machine. Not usually a good sign. On disassembling the
machine, the fixed inlet pipe has a split right down it's length.
Luckily I discovered that spares are readily available so I've already
ordered one, but my question is, why should this happen? I have since
Googled, and it seems that using the 'stop' connectors with a pressure
washer is a bad idea as it tries to suck in the stop valve, but it is
likely that this is the only reason for the failure? I don't want to
knacker it up again straight after I've fixed it! (I shall be
exchanging the 'stop' version for a normal one in any case).

Is the fixed inlet pipe rigid or flexible? Prossibly caused by the by pass
valve allowing pressurised water back into the inlet. Stop connectors are
bad news on pressure washers.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is the fixed inlet pipe rigid or flexible? Prossibly caused by the by pass
valve allowing pressurised water back into the inlet. Stop connectors are
bad news on pressure washers.

It's rigid, here's a pic of the old one:
http://www.willcoxonline.com/splitpipe.jpg

Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how the stop valve could cause a
problem, as it is physically held open by the male part of the
connector, so extra pressure on the inlet side should not be able to
force the valve closed?
However, not wanting to risk it again, after fitting the replacement
part today I used a plastic, non-stop valve on the end of the hosepipe
and it is working fine now!

Ben.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Willcox wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is the fixed inlet pipe rigid or flexible? Prossibly caused by the
by pass valve allowing pressurised water back into the inlet. Stop
connectors are bad news on pressure washers.

It's rigid, here's a pic of the old one:
http://www.willcoxonline.com/splitpipe.jpg

I suspect a pressure surge, not sure how the auto stop works on that model.
A flexible hose probably wouldn't have split.

Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how the stop valve could cause a
problem, as it is physically held open by the male part of the
connector, so extra pressure on the inlet side should not be able to
force the valve closed?

I'm not sure either to be honest, but I have plenty of experience of the
problem (30 odd years in the pressure washer game). I think its down to
'play' since these couplings aren't built to exact tolerances. The suction
from the pump can be pretty powerful and although the coupling may not stop
the water supply entirely it could certainly restrict it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:
I have since
Googled, and it seems that using the 'stop' connectors with a
pressure washer is a bad idea as it tries to suck in the stop valve

However hard the pump sucks, it won't be able to put more than 1 bar
(15 psi, one atmosphere) of pressure across the stop valve (in
addition to whatever the water supply pressure is).

It can if the machine is sucking water instead of getting it from a
pressurised feed like a tap.

Commercial machines can easily collapse a 22mm braided supply hose if the
supply is turned off.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Newshound wrote:
I have since
Googled, and it seems that using the 'stop' connectors with a
pressure washer is a bad idea as it tries to suck in the stop valve

However hard the pump sucks, it won't be able to put more than 1 bar
(15 psi, one atmosphere) of pressure across the stop valve (in
addition to whatever the water supply pressure is).

It can if the machine is sucking water instead of getting it from a
pressurised feed like a tap.

No it can't.. just try sucking water up onto the fourth floor and you will
see.

Commercial machines can easily collapse a 22mm braided supply hose if the
supply is turned off.

Supply pipes aren't designed to cope with a vacuum.. you need a more rigid
pipe if you want to suck.