Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brass garden hose connectors

Ben Willcox wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is the fixed inlet pipe rigid or flexible? Prossibly caused by the
by pass valve allowing pressurised water back into the inlet. Stop
connectors are bad news on pressure washers.

It's rigid, here's a pic of the old one:
http://www.willcoxonline.com/splitpipe.jpg

I suspect a pressure surge, not sure how the auto stop works on that model.
A flexible hose probably wouldn't have split.

Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how the stop valve could cause a
problem, as it is physically held open by the male part of the
connector, so extra pressure on the inlet side should not be able to
force the valve closed?

I'm not sure either to be honest, but I have plenty of experience of the
problem (30 odd years in the pressure washer game). I think its down to
'play' since these couplings aren't built to exact tolerances. The suction
from the pump can be pretty powerful and although the coupling may not stop
the water supply entirely it could certainly restrict it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman