Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi system question - fitting wireless controls

Hi
Trying to find a wireless control panel / programmable room thermostat
that is compatible with our biasi garda he condensing boiler.
Looking for something that does not require an electrician to install
(part L / part P requirement?)
Anyone know where I might find one or if such a product even exists?
Thanks, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:28:17 -0700, Mike
mused:

Hi
Trying to find a wireless control panel / programmable room thermostat
that is compatible with our biasi garda he condensing boiler.
Looking for something that does not require an electrician to install
(part L / part P requirement?)
Anyone know where I might find one or if such a product even exists?
Thanks, Mike

Any wireless room stat will do the job. Wouldn't worry about part p\l.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any wireless room stat will do the job. Wouldn't worry about part p\l.

Stuart, thanks for advice. Can i just check:
1) Are you saying this is a relativly easy diy wiring job (have done a
bit before)
2) House to be sold soon - lack of part L / P paperwork won't cause a
problem
3) Any recomendations and am i best going for simple thermostat or
more af a fully programmable thingymabob?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Mike
writes
Hi
Trying to find a wireless control panel / programmable room thermostat
that is compatible with our biasi garda he condensing boiler.
Looking for something that does not require an electrician to install
(part L / part P requirement?)
Anyone know where I might find one or if such a product even exists?
Thanks, Mike

Err ...
Almost anything

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:30:34 -0700, Mike
mused:

Any wireless room stat will do the job. Wouldn't worry about part p\l.

Stuart, thanks for advice. Can i just check:
1) Are you saying this is a relativly easy diy wiring job (have done a
bit before)

It is, but if you are the slighest bit unsure then get someone else to
fit it.

2) House to be sold soon - lack of part L / P paperwork won't cause a
problem

Wouldn't have thought so. Part p doesn't come into it and I don't
think that part l will have any bearing on any reports particularly.

3) Any recomendations and am i best going for simple thermostat or
more af a fully programmable thingymabob?

Either\or, but I'd go for a fully programmable thermosrtat if it were
mine.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

Trying to find a wireless control panel / programmable room thermostat
that is compatible with our biasi garda he condensing boiler.
Looking for something that does not require an electrician to install
(part L / part P requirement?)
Anyone know where I might find one or if such a product even exists?

I did one for a neighbours Biasi combi not too long ago. Straight
forward - the boiler has a pair of chock block style terminals
accessible by removal of a few screws to expose the control board. These
were initially joined by a loop of wire. To install the stat one just
removed the loop of wire and connected the wires from the prog stat. Any
battery operated prog stat would do fine. On this boiler it had an
internal timer, so we just set this so the boiler was on 24/7 and left
the control up to the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:49:13 +0100, Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:30:34 -0700, Mike
mused:

Any wireless room stat will do the job. Wouldn't worry about part p\l.

Stuart, thanks for advice. Can i just check:
1) Are you saying this is a relativly easy diy wiring job (have done a
bit before)

It is, but if you are the slighest bit unsure then get someone else to
fit it.

2) House to be sold soon - lack of part L / P paperwork won't cause a
problem

Wouldn't have thought so. Part p doesn't come into it and I don't
think that part l will have any bearing on any reports particularly.

except that the _necessity_ to fit the control is a requirement of part L.
If you consider that you need the right paperwork then you'll need to
shell out. The received wisdom at the memoent is that the required
paperwork is a luxury and if/when you come to sell the house getting
the paperwork sorted in one go will be cheaper anyway.

3) Any recomendations and am i best going for simple thermostat or more
af a fully programmable thingymabob?

Either\or, but I'd go for a fully programmable thermosrtat if it were
mine.

Endorsed. Horstmann do a wireless unit, the receiver unit can often be
fitted into the boiler itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On this boiler it had an
internal timer, so we just set this so the boiler was on 24/7 and left
the control up to the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for replies.
John, can i just ask which stat you used as it seems to have been
pretty strait forward to install.
Regarding what you did with the internal timer, is this standard
procedure? i assume this does not result in the boiler actualy being
on 24/7 - just available? and that you can use the stat to switch
heating off simply by turning temp setting right down? or am i barking
up the wrong tree all together.

Just on the off chance that anyone knows, have seen some of the new
breed of wireless stats which don't need any wiring at all (receiver
plugs strait into boiler) but as yet have not found one available for
our boiler model. Anyone found one of these compatible with biasi ?

Thanks again, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:29:41 -0700, Mike
mused:

On this boiler it had an
internal timer, so we just set this so the boiler was on 24/7 and left
the control up to the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for replies.
John, can i just ask which stat you used as it seems to have been
pretty strait forward to install.

They all use pretty much the same wiring and backplate. Basically you
just stick a live and neutral into the reciver unit and wire a pair
across the common and call in the receiver to terminals 1&3 in the
boiler (check your instructions, but I think the Biasi uses terminals
1&3)

Regarding what you did with the internal timer, is this standard
procedure? i assume this does not result in the boiler actualy being
on 24/7 - just available?

Yep.

and that you can use the stat to switch
heating off simply by turning temp setting right down? or am i barking
up the wrong tree all together.

Kind of. You could turn the temp right down but if you are using a
programmable stat then it has a programmer built in, so you can just
turn it off as you would with a seperate programmer\stat combo.

Just on the off chance that anyone knows, have seen some of the new
breed of wireless stats which don't need any wiring at all (receiver
plugs strait into boiler) but as yet have not found one available for
our boiler model.

These aren't so much a 'new breed' as such, but are generally supplied
by the manufacturer for a particular boiler of there's. They're not
generally a generic item.

Anyone found one of these compatible with biasi ?

Fraid not, but then I haven't been looking. Best people to ask would
be Biasi themselves.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

John, can i just ask which stat you used as it seems to have been
pretty strait forward to install.

Don't recall what it was ( it was the prog state he had for the previous
boiler). However any stat that can close a contact to indicate call for
heat would do.

I use one of these:

that seems to do the job very nicely.

Regarding what you did with the internal timer, is this standard
procedure?

Depends on the boiler. Some have a master control that let you chose
(for example) Heating once, twice or continuous. This one did not and
only had the option of timer control. So setting a single "on" period
lasting 24 hours was the way to in effect make the timer redundant.

i assume this does not result in the boiler actualy being
on 24/7 - just available?

That's right. The boiler will then run whenever the prog stat says it
should.

and that you can use the stat to switch
heating off simply by turning temp setting right down? or am i barking
up the wrong tree all together.

That's right, you could. In reality if you set what temperatures you
want at what times of day then, the need to do anything with the stat
will mostly go away. (better ones have frost free settings for holidays
etc). They usually also have a nudge up and down capability to override
the current programmed temp should you wish to make a temporary alteration.

Just on the off chance that anyone knows, have seen some of the new
breed of wireless stats which don't need any wiring at all (receiver
plugs strait into boiler) but as yet have not found one available for
our boiler model. Anyone found one of these compatible with biasi ?

Never looked, but even one that needs a mains supply to the receiver
would be very easy to power by picking up the mains feed in the boiler.
There is a fair amount of empty space inside Biasi boilers as well, so
it ought to be easy to fit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
Mike wrote:

and that you can use the stat to switch
heating off simply by turning temp setting right down? or am i barking
up the wrong tree all together.

That's right, you could. In reality if you set what temperatures you
want at what times of day then, the need to do anything with the stat
will mostly go away. (better ones have frost free settings for holidays
etc). They usually also have a nudge up and down capability to override
the current programmed temp should you wish to make a temporary alteration.

Ours had a switch on the boiler for HW only or Heating and HW, I used to
switch it to HW only in the summer. Not entirely necessary, but I did
find there would be times when a cool night would mean the heating
coming on in the morning when we didn't really need it.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

Ours had a switch on the boiler for HW only or Heating and HW, I used to
switch it to HW only in the summer. Not entirely necessary, but I did
find there would be times when a cool night would mean the heating
coming on in the morning when we didn't really need it.

Its going to depend a bit on the thermal mass of the house, and how low
you set the stat overnight. I find with ours set to 16 overnight the
heating never kicks in for the bulk of the summer.

--
Cheers,

John.