Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sat Nav

in 659299 20070815 000444 "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....

Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.

Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.

Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

I was with my friend and his new toy this weekend and
taking his off the A roads was most enlightening.

We drove onto a B road to stop off at a small village on the
way (we hadn't bothered to program this point). Yet despite
the road ultimately going to the same town as the A road
the Nav insisted on routing us back to the A road by
whatever convoluted route it could find, even though the
route back was almost as long as staying on the B road
to the final destination.

I suspect that the average speed programmed into the
machine for B roads was about 10 mph (we were averaging
55) and 60 for the A road. This might be programmable,
but we couldn't find it.

I don't think my friend will be using his Nav much for local
journeys.

Would you care to name and shame?

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

So if Opera is that naff, how come people will wait 10 years for a
ticket to Bayreuth, and the ROH performances later this year are all
sold out!..
--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Its often occurred to me that if terrorists really wanted to cause mass
disruption to our society, taking out 3 or 4 bridges on the M25 would shut
down the south east for months or years.......

Heh heh - I manage to get around ok with never using the M25. There are
always alternatives. Of course they would be more congested without it.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-15 17:24:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

There I could agree with you, I was thinking more in terms of the
Italian offerings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

Was that the tart in the green dress ?

I just caught the applause at the end, it's still on the HDD

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-08-15 17:24:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!
Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)
So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.
How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled
(without anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

There I could agree with you, I was thinking more in terms of the
Italian offerings.

I'm surrounded by philistines !

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's
read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

So if Opera is that naff, how come people will wait 10 years for a

He didn't say it was naff, he just said that he didn't like it

and neither do I

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-08-15 17:24:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!
Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)
So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.
How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

There I could agree with you, I was thinking more in terms of the
Italian offerings.

I'm surrounded by philistines !

That's what the Israelis say....

(Oh no, that's Palestine)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , raden
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

Was that the tart in the green dress ?

No .. long black dress with a very well placed split:-=)

I just caught the applause at the end, it's still on the HDD

Wasn't on the TV .. was it?...didn't see any cameras..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-15 17:24:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's
read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

There I could agree with you, I was thinking more in terms of the
Italian offerings.

I find the whole concept of opera slightly ridiculous. How could your
number one man (Ludwig Van) get involved with a plot line where a busty
soprano dresses up as a male prison officer and fools everyone including
her own husband? Fortunately he had the sense not to write another.

As for the ballet, nobody wrote any decent music for it other than
Stravinsky and Prokofiev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!
Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)
So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.
How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

It's all about Rhine daughters in the end :-)

So if Opera is that naff, how come people will wait 10 years for a
ticket to Bayreuth, and the ROH performances later this year are all
sold out!..

Train spotters, anoraks, and corporate hoorays.
I don't think opera is naff, but I'd rather listen to it than watch all
that prancing about in silly costumes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-16 11:34:30 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

I don't think opera is naff, but I'd rather listen to it than watch all
that prancing about in silly costumes.

That's why I have no interest in soccer matches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-16 11:20:27 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

I find the whole concept of opera slightly ridiculous.

Well of course it is, but that's part of the point.

How could your number one man (Ludwig Van) get involved with a plot
line where a busty soprano dresses up as a male prison officer and
fools everyone including her own husband? Fortunately he had the sense
not to write another.

Execution can be interesting as well - for example, the
kilogrammatically challenged Pavarotti playing the role of a handsome
and ardent young Prince Calaf or Joan Sutherland Princess Turandot
(although she at least had the good sense not to play the role on stage
when she had a few thousand miles on the clock).

As for the ballet, nobody wrote any decent music for it other than
Stravinsky and Prokofiev

So you like the animalism in le Sacre du Printemps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-16 11:34:30 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

I don't think opera is naff, but I'd rather listen to it than watch
all that prancing about in silly costumes.

That's why I have no interest in soccer matches.

I'm not interested in them either any more but, if you support a team,
that is hard wired into your brain. Surgery is the only answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-16 11:20:27 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

I find the whole concept of opera slightly ridiculous.

Well of course it is, but that's part of the point.

How could your number one man (Ludwig Van) get involved with a plot
line where a busty soprano dresses up as a male prison officer and
fools everyone including her own husband? Fortunately he had the sense
not to write another.

Execution can be interesting as well - for example, the
kilogrammatically challenged Pavarotti playing the role of a handsome
and ardent young Prince Calaf or Joan Sutherland Princess Turandot
(although she at least had the good sense not to play the role on stage
when she had a few thousand miles on the clock).

As for the ballet, nobody wrote any decent music for it other than
Stravinsky and Prokofiev

So you like the animalism in le Sacre du Printemps?

Oh yes. A bit of animalism goes down a treat after a few pints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , raden
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I guess that you said the same when you attempted to read
Shakespeare.....
Nobody reads Shakespeare voluntarily, but I do know someone who's read
Proust.
Excuse me! I do read Shakespeare voluntarily!

Macbeth at Chichester is sold out (May 25 to Sept 1)

So is Covent garden. Doesn't mean anyone likes ballet or opera.

How can anyone not?

5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled (without
anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

Well the Prom last Sunday nite was superb:_) Especially that Lithuanian
lovely in the part of Flosshilde)

Was that the tart in the green dress ?

No .. long black dress with a very well placed split:-=)

I just caught the applause at the end, it's still on the HDD

Wasn't on the TV .. was it?...didn't see any cameras..

Radio Times says "Mid season round up of musical highlights ..."

so looks like it prolly wasn't

I just record them anyway, at 20p / disk, why not ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
On 2007-08-15 11:07:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Oi !

leave morris dancers out of this

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-08-16 11:34:30 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:
I don't think opera is naff, but I'd rather listen to it than watch
all that prancing about in silly costumes.

That's why I have no interest in soccer matches.

Or just hate football

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
5 hours of Gotterdammerung? I'd rather have my teeth drilled
(without anesthetic) or even watch a Tchaikovsky ballet.

There I could agree with you, I was thinking more in terms of the
Italian offerings.

I find the whole concept of opera slightly ridiculous.

Name me any theatrical entertainment of any sort that isn't, when you
look at it dispassionately

How could your number one man (Ludwig Van) get involved with a plot
line where a busty soprano dresses up as a male prison officer and
fools everyone including her own husband? Fortunately he had the sense
not to write another.

Prolly with the hope of getting his end away

As for the ballet, nobody wrote any decent music for it other than
Stravinsky and Prokofiev

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-16 11:34:30 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:
I don't think opera is naff, but I'd rather listen to it than watch
all that prancing about in silly costumes.
That's why I have no interest in soccer matches.

I'm not interested in them either any more but, if you support a team,
that is hard wired into your brain. Surgery is the only answer.

I suggest a 12-gauge nasal flush, a la Kurt Cobain.

I couldn't justify buying a shotgun just for one job