Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

Default Wall Crack advice

Hi, I was hoping for some advice on a crack I have in my bedroom. I
had my room plastered a few months ago and a crack has re-appeared so
I chipped out the loose plaster and filled it but it doesn't seem to
go away. The house is over 100 years old so my question is not about
should I be worried by the crack but simply some advice on what you
would do if you have a crack in your room which you wanted to hide so
that the finish looks better.

I was thinking of putting a unit in the corner with something like a
mirror on top, but was also of thinking about turning the corner of
the room into a focal point by put a couple of strips of patterned
paper or something along those lines up covering the cracks.

So really there is two questions, is there a way to definitely get rid
of a crack, if not what would you suggest to hide it so the rooms
finish is not spoiled by it??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"CJC" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When I'm plastering over old plaster ie 100 years old I tend to use
plasteres scrm tape I run it vertically and horizontaly over the whole wall
and it works a treat.

What you have is probably foundation movement or the old plaster has blown
if you had it plastered over it?

Squeeze a rubber silicon in there and wipe off excess immediatly...filla
over cracks doesn't work. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

On 6 Aug, 15:48, "George" wrote:
"CJC" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks for the reply George,

I know the plasterer did use tape underneath maybe he didn't put
enough. I used flexi-filler, and the flexible polyfiller? But didn't
think of using a rubber silicon, is there one you could recommend as
rather go for word of mouth.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"CJC" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply George,

I know the plasterer did use tape underneath maybe he didn't put
enough. I used flexi-filler, and the flexible polyfiller? But didn't
think of using a rubber silicon, is there one you could recommend as
rather go for word of mouth.

Thanks

My guess is as you have stated never used enough, as the wall in my bedroom
had two cracks from floor to ceiling which were foundation movement I used
the method as I stated and putting scrim over the crack horizontaly and
vertically moreso in the crack areas,plastered it and tested it... when dry
by jumping up and down on the floorboards like a madman :-) stll no cracks
11 months on thereabouts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

On 6 Aug, 16:09, "George" wrote:
"CJC" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply George,

I know the plasterer did use tape underneath maybe he didn't put
enough. I used flexi-filler, and the flexible polyfiller? But didn't
think of using a rubber silicon, is there one you could recommend as
rather go for word of mouth.

Thanks

My guess is as you have stated never used enough, as the wall in my bedroom
had two cracks from floor to ceiling which were foundation movement I used
the method as I stated and putting scrim over the crack horizontaly and
vertically moreso in the crack areas,plastered it and tested it... when dry
by jumping up and down on the floorboards like a madman :-) stll no cracks
11 months on thereabouts?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...&ts=12448&id=7...

Wish I knew beforehand, as I would have ensured he used loads, never
mind lesson learnt. Thanks for the link, I'll get some over the
weekend.

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJC wrote:

So really there is two questions, is there a way to definitely get rid
of a crack, if not what would you suggest to hide it so the rooms
finish is not spoiled by it??

Part of the answer is obviously to find out why there is a crack, and
how it is moving. It may be that it is seasonal and opens and closes.
These are often down to tree roots in places with shallow foundations.
Especially on clay soils.

A way to fix it so that it does not show up is to hack the plaster off
for about a foot either side. Now inject resin bonding into the crack.
Next get some expanded metal lath sheets and cut them to the size of the
exposed brickwork. Fixed this in a grid every 6" or so with screws and
plugs with penny washers under the screws. Now replaster. The lath will
help restrain the movement a little, but also allow it to happen
independently of the plaster.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 6 Aug, 15:39, CJC wrote:
[...]

Cracks will often reappear.

If you are confident that it is not a significant structural issue,
then the best thing to do is board out the wall with plasterboard and
scim it.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

On 6 Aug, 19:58, dg wrote:
On 6 Aug, 15:39, CJC wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over? But thanks for the other two comments as I think I'm
going to have the same problem in my dinning room so will suggest to
the plasterer these options.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJC wrote:

Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over?

You can with oil based paints, but not water based.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
CJC wrote:

Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over?

You can with oil based paints, but not water based.

Never use silicone to fix cracks - use decorators caulk. Same idea, but
acrylic, and takes all paints well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

On 7 Aug, 18:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
CJC wrote:

Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over?

You can with oil based paints, but not water based.

Never use silicone to fix cracks - use decorators caulk. Same idea, but
acrylic, and takes all paints well.

Thanks Natural philosopher do you have a link to where I could buy it,
so I know what Im getting??

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
John Rumm wrote:
CJC wrote:

Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over?

You can with oil based paints, but not water based.

Never use silicone to fix cracks - use decorators caulk. Same idea, but
acrylic, and takes all paints well.

Thanks Natural philosopher do you have a link to where I could buy it,
so I know what Im getting??

Any of the sheds (B&Q, Wickes etc) will have it as it is commonly used in
the decorating trade.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=caulk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 3:48 pm, "George" wrote:
"CJC" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

WTF is "a rubber silicon"?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

WTF is "a rubber silicon"?

Its like a bouncy beach ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
CJC wrote:
Thanks for your comments dg and John but unfortunately I am at the
stage where the whole room is pretty much decorated, and for me to now
have to put these remedies into place would put me behind schedule, so
I will try the less drastic option of the silicon, though can this be
painted over?
You can with oil based paints, but not water based.

Never use silicone to fix cracks - use decorators caulk. Same idea, but
acrylic, and takes all paints well.

Thanks Natural philosopher do you have a link to where I could buy it,
so I know what Im getting??

Good heavens..Any decent builders merchants and PROBABLY B&Q..

Or screwfix mebbe..tho postage for such a cheap item will be a lot.

Here ya go

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A336146&ts=99052

You need a sealant gun thing as well.

Welly it in and use a wet sponge or finger to smooth it out.

You can put emulsion on it after half an hour or so..it takes a day or
two to set completely.

It is a LOT smoother than plaster so it is a shade noticeable..but if
dobbed with a sponge it might pick up a nice texture..

As far a I can tell its simply arcylic primer 'done thick'.

Somewhat akin to very sticky emulsion paint, haha.

There's probably a bit of plasticiser in it as well to make it
flexible..it can take a LITTLE movement without cracking.

Acrylic Frame Sealant is a similar beast, but more expensive and
probably has more plasticiser in.

Unlike the silicones, which are truly great till you need to paint em (I
don't believe ANY paint sticks to silicone) acrylics are paintable even
when still soft..with water based paints anyway: Oil I have never tried.

My standard decorating algorithm is first clear up the loose stuff, then
make good major gashes with filler, then sand everything down, then use
caulk to fill cracks between walls and ceilings and woodwork and
plaster, then paint away..wit Farrow and Ball, cots they have ten times
the pigment anyone else does.

End results are good.

Thanks

How to fix crack in basement wall? [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 4th 06 09:52 PM
Crack on outside wall Gloxx1961 UK diy 33 September 3rd 06 07:16 PM
Crack on wall - should I be worried? Pasta UK diy 13 July 19th 05 09:54 AM
Crack in garage wall Alan UK diy 5 July 5th 05 07:44 PM
Advice needed - crack in internal brick wall Perry Gunn UK diy 18 June 14th 05 01:49 PM