Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it possible to lay laminate flooring in a bathroom - even if it's not recommended for use there?

I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I have several packs left over from a previous job and though it's
designed as a glueless system, surely using a waterproof wood glue
would make it suitable for use in wet conditions? The same laminate is
used in my living room and I've had no difficulty mopping up liquids
(occasionally several hours after they've been spilled) - so what would
be the problem using it in a bathroom?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Nigel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nige" wrote in message
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I have several packs left over from a previous job and though it's
designed as a glueless system, surely using a waterproof wood glue
would make it suitable for use in wet conditions? The same laminate is
used in my living room and I've had no difficulty mopping up liquids
(occasionally several hours after they've been spilled) - so what would
be the problem using it in a bathroom?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Nigel

Water has a habit of getting anywhere and over time in the bathroom the
edges will start to rise.
A person I knew wanted the glueless laying in his kitchen, I advise him not
to but he went and done it disregarding my advice.

His wife was forever mopping the kitchen and the edges as stated started
rising(bulging) and it looked absolutly awful.
General laminate is not made for areas of a wet nature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nige" wrote in message
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I laid expensive stuff in our batroom. It looked very ****e very quickly.

If you don't mind mopping up every drop of water very quickly you may be OK,
if you think there is a danger you might ever leave a spill on it then don't
bother.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-06, R D S wrote:

"Nige" wrote in message
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I laid expensive stuff in our batroom. It looked very ****e very quickly.

If you don't mind mopping up every drop of water very quickly you may be OK,
if you think there is a danger you might ever leave a spill on it then don't
bother.

Have a look at Amtico. It's vinyl, waterproof, and they make some very
convincing fake finishes.

it isn't cheap, though.

Alternatively in the line of fake finishes, have a look at Cotto d'Este
ceramics. They do some convincing "wood" as ceramic tiles. A local
restoration of a castle used Cotto d'Este to replace a floor made from
oak strips and tile which wasn't coping well with modern use. Most
visitors are convinced that the "wood" is wood. As well as antique
effects they have parquet and several modern 'wood' finishes.

OTOH Cotto d'Este makes Amtico look cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 3:17 am, Nige wrote:
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

You shouldn't plunge your hand in a pan of boiling water, but there's
generally nothing preventing you doing it. Just don't whinge to us (or
Quick Step) when you realise why you shouldn't have done it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

"Nige" wrote in message
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I laid expensive stuff in our batroom. It looked very ****e very quickly.

If you don't mind mopping up every drop of water very quickly you may be
OK,
if you think there is a danger you might ever leave a spill on it then
don't
bother.

Ah, 'expensive stuff' - there's your problem ;- I laid cheap stuff in a
bathroom 7 years ago and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It's quite a
small room, but I wasn't especially careful. I used a PVA glue, and removed
and refixed skirting after laying the laminate. It does get wet when baths
are had, but doesn't receive any special TLC beyond a weekly mop. I
certainly haven't suffered from curling edges.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy McKenzie" wrote in message
"R D S" wrote in message

"Nige" wrote in message
[...]

I boughty stuff that said 'bathroom' on the packaging, you are lucky, mine
looks like ****e, in places there are gaps of about half a centimetre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy McKenzie" wrote in message

Ah, 'expensive stuff' - there's your problem ;- I laid cheap stuff in a
bathroom 7 years ago and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It's quite a
small room, but I wasn't especially careful. I used a PVA glue, and

removed
and refixed skirting after laying the laminate. It does get wet when baths
are had, but doesn't receive any special TLC beyond a weekly mop. I
certainly haven't suffered from curling edges.

Andy

You do suprise me, I mean if you did use PVA it would have still opened up a
gap between each piece of laminate...why because the boards flex when walked
on and would seperate the laminate gaps just enough to for water to
penetrate.

So in a nut shell...PVA is usless in bathroom laminate flooring

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

[...]

It was certainly PVA, perhaps we are back in the realm of cheap is cheerful.
It almost certainly was laid on a thin compressed paper liner (IKEA circa
1994) which has very little give. So the answer may be 'if laying laminate
in a bathroom ensure a firm foundation)! Again the bathroom is fairly small
so that might help. I think its an exemplar of 'your mileage may vary'.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-06 03:17:01 +0100, Nige said:

I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I have several packs left over from a previous job and though it's
designed as a glueless system, surely using a waterproof wood glue
would make it suitable for use in wet conditions? The same laminate is
used in my living room and I've had no difficulty mopping up liquids
(occasionally several hours after they've been spilled) - so what would
be the problem using it in a bathroom?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Nigel

Laminate floor isn't recommended for anywhere, but it's especially
unsuitable for wet areas.

You can lay it, but it will swell and disintegrate quite quickly if it
gets at all wet.

The appropriate surface for a bathroom floor is tiles, or at a pinch if
you must, vinyl sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nige wrote:
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I have several packs left over from a previous job and though it's
designed as a glueless system, surely using a waterproof wood glue
would make it suitable for use in wet conditions? The same laminate is
used in my living room and I've had no difficulty mopping up liquids
(occasionally several hours after they've been spilled) - so what would
be the problem using it in a bathroom?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Nigel

I laid a hard-wearing (AC5) click-lok system with PVA, which was left
over from the toy-room (computer room), probably 4 years ago. Been fine,
even with a wife that likes to splash a lot in the bath.

I was concerned when I laid it but figured as it was spare I might as
well try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

I laid a hard-wearing (AC5) click-lok system with PVA, which was left
over from the toy-room (computer room), probably 4 years ago. Been fine,
even with a wife that likes to splash a lot in the bath.

I was concerned when I laid it but figured as it was spare I might as
well try.

The wife or the laminate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
"If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ~ Albert
Einstein

As an alternative to Amtico, you could consider Karndean

http://www.karndean.co.uk

I have used this in two bathrooms and have been VERY pleased with the
result.

I have posted several times on the subject - have a look at

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=karndean&as_uauthors=simon+stroud

and you can see pictures of my results.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nige wrote:
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

Common sense?

Owain

If I was proposing simply laying a laminate flooring in a bathroom when
this wasn't recommended, I would indeed be lacking 'common sense'.

However, the second half of my posting - which you seem to have missed
- mentioned using a waterproof wood glue to prevent ingress of water
through joints. In other words - not laying the laminate in the
conventional way, but using a method which could be effective for
flooring in bathrooms etc.

And from the replies I've received, it seems at least one other
contributor to the group has found this method to be successful...

Nigel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 3:17 am, Nige wrote:
I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

You shouldn't plunge your hand in a pan of boiling water, but there's
generally nothing preventing you doing it. Just don't whinge to us (or
Quick Step) when you realise why you shouldn't have done it.

MBQ

Wouldn't dream of 'whinging' to you or anyone else - it simply seemed
to me that what prevented the use of laminate flooring in wet areas was
that most types use a glueless, 'click lock' system to make the boards
easy to lay.

Provided one was prepared to properly glue the joints and seal the ends
(as well as using a sealant between the boards and skirtings placed on
top) - it might be possible to create a suitably waterproof floor.

I hadn't realised this was broadly equivalent to self-mutilation - but
thanks for your considered reply...

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-06 03:17:01 +0100, Nige said:

I was wondering what was preventing me laying a good quality (Quick
Step) laminate floor in a bathroom - even though the boards in question
aren't recommended for use there?

I have several packs left over from a previous job and though it's
designed as a glueless system, surely using a waterproof wood glue
would make it suitable for use in wet conditions? The same laminate is
used in my living room and I've had no difficulty mopping up liquids
(occasionally several hours after they've been spilled) - so what would
be the problem using it in a bathroom?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Nigel

Laminate floor isn't recommended for anywhere,

Not by you, no.

The appropriate surface for a bathroom floor is tiles,

or at a pinch if
you must, vinyl sheet.

In your (not so) humble opinion, maybe.

MBQ