Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boundary line

Hi there,

My semi has a small caol shed which is mirrired on my attached
neighbour's side. They are now extedning the coal shed slighly further
down the garden - approx 3 ft further and the foundations that have
gone in will put the new wall about 3inches over onto my side. They
called me roungd just now to check if I was ok about it - I'm happy
for them to do this as it's a big garden and not a problem to me, but
are there any legal ramifications - may this become a problem in the
future when I come to sell my house?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:
Hi there,

My semi has a small caol shed which is mirrired on my attached
neighbour's side. They are now extedning the coal shed slighly further
down the garden - approx 3 ft further and the foundations that have
gone in will put the new wall about 3inches over onto my side. They
called me roungd just now to check if I was ok about it - I'm happy
for them to do this as it's a big garden and not a problem to me, but
are there any legal ramifications - may this become a problem in the
future when I come to sell my house?

Any advice appreciated!

Get it all formally documented and the deeds/land registry entries amended.
Do a search on the Party Wall Act. Your neigbour should bear all the legal
costs.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Simon wrote:
Hi there,

My semi has a small caol shed which is mirrired on my attached
neighbour's side. They are now extedning the coal shed slighly further
down the garden - approx 3 ft further and the foundations that have
gone in will put the new wall about 3inches over onto my side. They
called me roungd just now to check if I was ok about it - I'm happy
for them to do this as it's a big garden and not a problem to me, but
are there any legal ramifications - may this become a problem in the
future when I come to sell my house?

Any advice appreciated!

Get it all formally documented and the deeds/land registry entries
amended. Do a search on the Party Wall Act. Your neigbour should bear all
the legal costs.

Peter Crosland

AIUI; the "new wall" should_not_ protrude beyond the boundary line onto your
property.
With agreement; it's OK for the footings to extend into your property - with
your permission - but the wall should not go beyond your property line. If
nothing occurs then after twelve? years the neighbours (may not be the same
people) will have gained your property by 'adverse possession.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote in news:1186249773.734589.182210@
19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Hi there,

My semi has a small caol shed which is mirrired on my attached
neighbour's side. They are now extedning the coal shed slighly further
down the garden - approx 3 ft further and the foundations that have
gone in will put the new wall about 3inches over onto my side. They
called me roungd just now to check if I was ok about it - I'm happy
for them to do this as it's a big garden and not a problem to me, but
are there any legal ramifications - may this become a problem in the
future when I come to sell my house?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

Should be no problem for you, BUT - your neighbour may well have problems
should you decide to move and your successor demands that his shed be put
back onto the boundary.
Your neighbour would be well advised to get a formal sale agreement with
you of the land he wants to "buy" and then you and he get the title deeds
altered at the land registry for BOTH properties.
These actions may well save him a lot of heartache in the future. I
think, and only think, he must offer you "something" in return for the
land - say 10 pounds.

Terry W.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Brian Sharrock" contains these words:

With agreement; it's OK for the footings to extend into your property
- with
your permission - but the wall should not go beyond your property line. If
nothing occurs then after twelve? years the neighbours (may not be the same
people) will have gained your property by 'adverse possession.

The law on adverse possession differs these days depending on whether or
not the title is registered.

AIUI (IANAL) the time limit is down to ten years for property with
registered title but any claim will result in the Land registry
informing the registered owner who then has 2 years to evict the
squatter. If the registered owner chooses to do nothing then the
squatter can make another application after the 2 years have elapsed.

Traditionally squatters have had to wait 12 years (or 30 in respect of
Crown land) to claim title by which time the real owner has lost the
chance to evict, assuming the squatter can prove possession for the
required period.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:13:54 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

AIUI; the "new wall" should_not_ protrude beyond the boundary line onto your
property.
With agreement; it's OK for the footings to extend into your property - with
your permission - but the wall should not go beyond your property line.

ITYM *without* your permission (unless the footings are reinforced
concrete). The Party Wall etc Act 1996 does go into this, and there
are laid down procedures if you object...

--
Frank Erskine

boundary boxes bookman UK diy 2 July 25th 06 03:12 PM
How much to build this boundary wall? [email protected] UK diy 7 May 11th 06 11:10 PM
Boundary Dispute Kristiansand99 Home Ownership 11 January 20th 05 06:57 PM
Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
New boundary fence Rob Graham UK diy 22 October 31st 04 03:07 PM