Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Platform tower - thoughts on this?

It looks like I've got a guttering job to do, and probably more in
future, so I may need semi-regular access to a scaffold tower or similar
access platform.
Doing a search brought up this :
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...-scaffold-towe
r.htm

This seems to be rather cheaper than I was expecting, so any thoughts on
it, or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:16:08 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

It looks like I've got a guttering job to do, and probably more in
future, so I may need semi-regular access to a scaffold tower or similar
access platform.
Doing a search brought up this :
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...-scaffold-towe
r.htm

This seems to be rather cheaper than I was expecting, so any thoughts on
it, or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks
Alan.

The cheap aluminium ones bend when you set on the cross pieces and
lock together. Difficult job to take them apart. But provided you
don't mind a bit of work they are good value for infrequent use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a similar one (from Machine Mart) and eventually sold it to buy
a professional tower.

They're fine for light decorating work, when erected at lower heights
or indoors. The 7m tower they show outside would be pushing it.

You have to decide on whether you have a wind-sheltered location and
firm flat footings for the tower, the height you will need, how much
weight you'll put on it - and the degree of instability and flimsiness
you're willing to put up with.

The upside is that a shorter tower is very easy to move fully
assembled.

Hiring professional towers when you need them is relatively
inexpensive, if you have access to a suitable vehicle to transport
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
It looks like I've got a guttering job to do, and probably more in
future, so I may need semi-regular access to a scaffold tower or similar
access platform.
Doing a search brought up this :
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...-scaffold-towe
r.htm

This seems to be rather cheaper than I was expecting, so any thoughts on
it, or should I look elsewhere?

I've got an even cheaper one, it's made of thin tube steel and it just drops
together. It really is only good for occasional use but has served me well,
when I use it at max height I tend to tie it to the digger bucket or 10 ton
dump trailer to stop its slight tendency to wobble. Hiring is OK, but by the
time you've made the phone calls, done the travelling (twice) and done the
paperwork/paying you could likely be already 1/2 way through the job!

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 23:16:08 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

It looks like I've got a guttering job to do, and probably more in future,
so I may need semi-regular access to a scaffold tower or similar access
platform.
Doing a search brought up this :
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...-scaffold-towe
r.htm

This seems to be rather cheaper than I was expecting, so any thoughts on
it, or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks
Alan.

===================================
I think you should compare the maximum platform height (2.73m / 9') and
the maximum working height (4.7m / 15' 9") to see if it's adequate for the
kind of work you're planning. These figures suggest that you would need to
be working constantly at or above head height which is neither comfortable
nor safe.

If you shop around you can buy much cheaper mild steel towers with better
specifications. Don't be put off by the idea that steel is heavy /
aluminium is light. My DIY steel towers are both strong and light.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Cicero wrote:
[...]

If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps
into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to them.
PJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PJ wrote:

If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps
into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to them.

Oddly enough my home outside the UK has eyehooks spaced at every metre
around the upper storey. I've often wondered why the British don't do
the same thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
PJ wrote:
If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps
into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to them.

Oddly enough my home outside the UK has eyehooks spaced at every metre
around the upper storey.

And so useful for illuminated christmas decorations ...

And afterwards I could use the hooks to pluck my eyes from their
sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
PJ wrote:
If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps
into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to
them.
Oddly enough my home outside the UK has eyehooks spaced at every metre
around the upper storey.

And so useful for illuminated christmas decorations ...

And afterwards I could use the hooks to pluck my eyes from their
sockets.

probably used in the war for stringing up the resistance....

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps
into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to them.

Oddly enough my home outside the UK has eyehooks spaced at every metre
around the upper storey.

And so useful for illuminated christmas decorations ...

My house has some substantial brackets holding up the wooden guttering.
Very useful for restraining the top of my ladder but so far at least
have not used for Crimble.

--
Roger Chapman

Tower keith_765 UK diy 6 December 9th 06 08:05 PM
Tower RF stat Ian Stirling UK diy 8 October 28th 06 06:05 PM
Scaffold tower platform Chris UK diy 9 April 8th 06 06:31 AM
Where and what price for scafold tower ? [email protected] UK diy 15 October 27th 05 11:13 PM
Shower Tower alexbartman UK diy 0 April 25th 05 09:31 AM