Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More shed construction queries

(Oh dear. This may end up as a TRIPLE post. Sorry)

I am still fretting over the construction of my new shed.

What is the difference between OSB 2 and OSB 3 (Other than OSB 2 is
more expensive on the Trademate site)? And why is OSB 2 so much
cheaper per mm in 11 and 18 mm than in 8,9, or 15mm? (Am I missing
something?)

Where can I buy plain timber window frames? I don't need Part L
compliance, I don't need double glazing, I don't even need pre-glazing
at all.

What do people suggest for flooring. I can't decide between T&G, OSB
(again), and plywood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:58:12 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

(Oh dear. This may end up as a TRIPLE post. Sorry)

I am still fretting over the construction of my new shed.

What is the difference between OSB 2 and OSB 3 (Other than OSB 2 is more
expensive on the Trademate site)? And why is OSB 2 so much cheaper per mm
in 11 and 18 mm than in 8,9, or 15mm? (Am I missing something?)

Where can I buy plain timber window frames? I don't need Part L
compliance, I don't need double glazing, I don't even need pre-glazing at
all.

What do people suggest for flooring. I can't decide between T&G, OSB
(again), and plywood.

==================================
A partial answer - window frames. If you're not going for a very elaborate
shed then you don't need any window frames as such. The traditional method
is to create a suitably sized opening using the actual shed's frame,
possibly by inserting a couple of noggins between two uprights. Simple
beads (about 1" x 1") are then fitted in the aperture to backup the glass
and the same beading is then used on the outside to retain the glass.

If you can find someone doing a conservatory you might be able to beg a
few offcuts of clear polycarbonate sheet to use instead of glass.
Polycarbonate is safe and adequate for lighting in a shed and has the
added advantage that it's difficult for prying eyes to see the contents of
the shed.

My sheds have floors of 2' x 2' paving slabs - no rot.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 21:58, Martin Bonner wrote:

What do people suggest for flooring. I can't decide between T&G, OSB
(again), and plywood.

WBP ply (with ventilation underneath). OSB doesnt survive wetness.
Theres no need to T&G boards if you use them.

Freecycle should supply glass in the form of old windows.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My sheds have floors of 2' x 2' paving slabs - no rot.

Cic.

How do you seal the sides to the floor to stop water getting in?

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 1:30 pm, wrote:
On 30 Jul, 21:58, Martin Bonner wrote:

What do people suggest for flooring. I can't decide between T&G, OSB
(again), and plywood.

WBP ply (with ventilation underneath). OSB doesnt survive wetness.

Really???

I thought OSB used the same glue as WBP?

I'm sure there is both crap WBP and OSB around, the best way to test I
expect is to boil an offcut.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:12:24 +0100, Paul wrote:

My sheds have floors of 2' x 2' paving slabs - no rot.

Cic.

How do you seal the sides to the floor to stop water getting in?

Paul

==================================
I design the shed to fit the base so that the slabs are above ground (2"
above) and the shed walls form a drip outside the slabs and just short of
the ground. No actual sealing necessary.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux

Electrical queries MisterP UK diy 6 June 24th 07 10:38 PM
Storage Shed Construction Huey Barnett Home Repair 10 August 6th 06 08:36 PM
newbie saw queries Contrarian Woodworking 9 December 20th 05 06:43 PM
A few rewiring queries Lobster UK diy 30 May 5th 05 09:56 AM
Towbar coupling queries David W.E. Roberts UK diy 11 July 30th 04 11:27 AM