David W.E. Roberts

Default Towbar coupling queries

"Lobster" wrote in message
Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite figure
out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed,

and
likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't spring
open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue

what
I'm looking for (or what it should look like!) . I know this is a bit

lame,
but any ideas?

I presume it has been working and suddenly stopped?

My small trailer hitch has a trigger which locks the coupling in the 'open'
position - when you hitch up you release the trigger and the hitch snaps
shut, in theory locking it onto the towball on the car.

If this is your setup, sounds as though the trigger is jammed.

Replacement may be on the cards - in which case approach the trailer
manufacturere in the first instance.

HTH
Dave R

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:51:39 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

| Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite figure
| out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed, and
| likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't spring
| open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
| can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue what
| I'm looking for (or what it should look like!) . I know this is a bit lame,
| but any ideas?
|
| Not knowing anything about towbars I'm tempted to just buy a replacement
| coupling anyway, to err on the safe side. Are these things a standard
| fitting? Mine is an SPP brand (Polish?) and is attached to the chassis by
| two large bolts on what looks like 900mm or 3.5" centres... is this
| standard, ie can I order any brand?

Sounds like the one on my *old* trailer, built of cast iron not the modern
bent tin.
Have you tried flooding it with WD40? ?twice?
If that clears the problem, regrease it.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Hitch Lock

Lobster wrote:

Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite
figure out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to
be jammed, and likewise the bit which should engage under the
towball; this won't spring open and close around the ball as I lower
the coupling over the ball. I can't see anything obviously wrong or
broken but really haven't a clue what I'm looking for (or what it
should look like!) . I know this is a bit lame, but any ideas?

Not knowing anything about towbars I'm tempted to just buy a
replacement coupling anyway, to err on the safe side. Are these
things a standard fitting? Mine is an SPP brand (Polish?) and is
attached to the chassis by two large bolts on what looks like 900mm
or 3.5" centres... is this standard, ie can I order any brand?

Thanks
David

I think there are several standard-ish sizes of hitch fixings - so you
should hopefully get one to fit. I think that they're rated in terms of the
overall trailer weight for which they're designed - so you need to get one
appropriate to your weight of trailer.

I presume that your bolts are at 90mm centres - 900mm would be a bit big?!

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Chris 159

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

i'm quite sure that 50mm ball size is the norm. check here -
www.towsure.co.uk

Lobster

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Yes to all the above!

If this is your setup, sounds as though the trigger is jammed.

Replacement may be on the cards - in which case approach the trailer
manufacturere in the first instance.

Trouble is, it was a bespoke one, made by someone quite a distance away, so
I want to buy a replacement coupling and fit it myself, if that's what's
called for.

David

Michael Chare

"Chris 159" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite figure
out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed,

and
likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't spring
open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue

what

i'm quite sure that 50mm ball size is the norm. check here -
www.towsure.co.uk

Yes Nowdays! The size is sometimes marked which used to help in the days of 2"
balls.

The coupling on my boat trailer is sometimes very reluctant to open for no
obvious reason.

Some Web sites which may help
http://www.trailerpartswarehouse.co.uk/default.htm
http://www.gordonlove.co.uk/parts.htm

Michael Chare

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:36:08 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Chare"
wrote:

| The coupling on my boat trailer is sometimes very reluctant to open for no
| obvious reason.

Rust due to too much water? WD40 is good for rust. Then regreace.

Dave F

wattie

The standard fitting ball diameter is now 50mm and the old one was 2" and
although there is a very small difference, sometimes they don't fit and are
not recommended to be mixed.
WM

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Lobster

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Chris 159" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite

figure
out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be

jammed,
and
likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't

spring
open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball.

can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue

what

i'm quite sure that 50mm ball size is the norm. check here -
www.towsure.co.uk

Yes Nowdays! The size is sometimes marked which used to help in the days

of 2"
balls.

Whoa, no it's not the ball size I want to know about (I know that's
standard) it's the size/spacing of the two bolts which fix the coupling to
the chassis!
David

Chris 159

"Chris 159" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

do you own a drill ? no problem ;-)

David W.E. Roberts

"Lobster" wrote in message
snip
Trouble is, it was a bespoke one, made by someone quite a distance away,

so
I want to buy a replacement coupling and fit it myself, if that's what's
called for.

Obvious way to go is to remove the hitch (you will have to do this sometime,
anyway) and take it to your local dealer.

Look in the yellow pages for Indispension dealers who tend to have loads of
trailer bits, and caravan dealers and yacht chandlers who often carry spares
also.

They will be able to look at the hitch and match it to whatever they have -
much easier to do when they have the hitch in their hands to compare with
new stuff.

HTH
Dave R

Earth bonding queries Lobster UK diy 20 January 31st 04 08:54 AM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM
Saniflow : Coupling copper pipe to soil stack Flat Eric UK diy 0 August 19th 03 10:13 AM
Saniflow : Coupling copper pipe to soil stack Flat Eric UK diy 0 August 18th 03 01:20 PM