Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Four dead spotlights in living room

Hi all,

We have a set of four recessed spotlights in the living room. They
are currently dead. I turned them and they fizzled straight out.

I turned them on at the adjustable light level switch. There is also
another normal switch at the other side of the room which just
switches them on and off.

The adjustable switch has two switches on it.... the other side
controls an additional two spotlights, and these are working fine.

I have:

1. Checked the fuse at the box (One fuse for all lighting, so all
good)
2. Replaced all four bulbs as a test (in other installations in the
house if one bulb
goes the others stay running though).

What is the next thing to look at? My guess would be that the
adjustable switch itself has gone, but are there other possibilities?

Thanks,

Tris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 03:56:02 -0700, "
mused:

[...]

The dimmer (adjustable switch as you call it) would have been my first
port of call. You need to check this and replace if neccesary.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Yes. Happend to ALL my dimmers.

You MAY be able to repair it.open it up (after disconnecting power) and
chances are a PCB track or fuse has gone..replace/repair. However the
TRIAC may be DOA as well= new dimmer. Get it rated for a LOT more than
you think you need. spotlights under fault conditions, when blowing or
when first swiched on suck very high currents..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Bear in mind that you may be able to replace the dimmer module - by
purchasing a single white plastic version and removing the module and
fitting it into the plate of the switch that you have - as it sounds as
though you may have a multi-gang arrangement (or are the switches you
mention entirely separate?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 11:56, "
wrote:

[...]

any part of the system might be at fault, a multimeter would enable
you to narrow down which bit. As said the dimmer is probably the most
likely culprit, but I'd still get a meter rather than guess, it'll
work out similar price ane be useful many times in future.

NT