Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Cooker Hood Height

I've got a 900mm wide cooker hood to hang on the wall. The instructions
say no lower than 700mm above the hob which is a five burner gas hob.

Is there a 'usual' height for hoods?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:49 +0100, F mused:

I've got a 900mm wide cooker hood to hang on the wall. The instructions
say no lower than 700mm above the hob which is a five burner gas hob.

Is there a 'usual' height for hoods?

Yes, no lower than 700mm from gas hobs.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:49 +0100, F mused:

I've got a 900mm wide cooker hood to hang on the wall. The instructions
say no lower than 700mm above the hob which is a five burner gas hob.

Is there a 'usual' height for hoods?

Yes, no lower than 700mm from gas hobs.

You should check the hob instructions too, which can in theory
override this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:37:10 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:49 +0100, F mused:

I've got a 900mm wide cooker hood to hang on the wall. The instructions
say no lower than 700mm above the hob which is a five burner gas hob.

Is there a 'usual' height for hoods?

Yes, no lower than 700mm from gas hobs.

You should check the hob instructions too, which can in theory
override this.

Indeed so. In the absence of any instructions then the separation is 760mm
but you can lower if BOTH the hob and extractor permit this, (to the
greater of the two of course). It all in BS 6712.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 30/07/2007 14:06 Ed Sirett wrote:

In the absence of any instructions then the separation is 760mm
but you can lower if BOTH the hob and extractor permit this

Hob says 650mm, hood 700mm, so it's 700mm in terms of safety.

However, these heights are 'limitations' and not necessarily heights
which offer a good working environment. My query was really about what
height hoods are usually installed at to make sure that they remove
smells and grease etc from above the hob whilst not getting in the way
of actually using it.

'Management' would like the hood to be a little higher than the minimum
but I'm reluctant to do this if it simply becomes inefficient.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:57:06 +0100, F mused:

On 30/07/2007 14:06 Ed Sirett wrote:

In the absence of any instructions then the separation is 760mm
but you can lower if BOTH the hob and extractor permit this

Hob says 650mm, hood 700mm, so it's 700mm in terms of safety.

However, these heights are 'limitations' and not necessarily heights
which offer a good working environment. My query was really about what
height hoods are usually installed at to make sure that they remove
smells and grease etc from above the hob whilst not getting in the way
of actually using it.

'Management' would like the hood to be a little higher than the minimum
but I'm reluctant to do this if it simply becomes inefficient.

Depends on the hood. Soe will be reasonable at best no matter how
close, some will suck your kitchen units up as well. Dropping some
hoods too low will also impair performance as you start to restrict
the air flow and space around the hood.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/07/2007 08:35 Lurch wrote:

some will suck your kitchen units up as well.

This one's 500 m3/hr. It'll replace the air in this kitchen 20 times
each hour. Is that a gentle breeze or a hurricane?

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:13:25 +0100, F mused:

On 31/07/2007 08:35 Lurch wrote:

some will suck your kitchen units up as well.

This one's 500 m3/hr. It'll replace the air in this kitchen 20 times
each hour. Is that a gentle breeze or a hurricane?

Most of the average type cooker hoods are around 200m3/hr, so yours
will be a brisk wind at least. You definitely want it as far from the
hob as possible, within reason, especially as it's a gas hob.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/07/2007 11:10 Lurch wrote:

You definitely want it as far from the
hob as possible, within reason, especially as it's a gas hob.

I'll do just that! Thanks for the advice: appreciated.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 10:13 am, F wrote:
On 31/07/2007 08:35 Lurch wrote:

some will suck your kitchen units up as well.

This one's 500 m3/hr. It'll replace the air in this kitchen 20 times
each hour. Is that a gentle breeze or a hurricane?

--
Frank

Ours is the same 'power' and I located it 95cm above the hob and the
results are superb whilst being out of head height (it is 165cm from
the floor).

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/200...s/IMG_4066.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/200...s/IMG_4074.jpg

As you can see it's built into the cupboard hence the adjacent
cupboards probably help guide the airflow, however this is probably
offset by the fact that it only sticks out 30cm from the wall so
doesn't cover the whole of the hob. Regardless of the theory it does
work extremely well.

I imagine having it at, or below, eye level would be extremely
annoying - somewhat 'in your face'.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Mathew Newton writes
On Jul 31, 10:13 am, F wrote:
[...]

Ours is just nicely at my forehead height for the annoying bump - the
boss (being vertically challenged) does not have a problem! At least it
is a good excuse to avoid cooking!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 10:13 am, F wrote:
On 31/07/2007 08:35 Lurch wrote:

some will suck your kitchen units up as well.

This one's 500 m3/hr. It'll replace the air in this kitchen 20 times
each hour. Is that a gentle breeze or a hurricane?

--
Frank

Ours is the same 'power' and I located it 95cm above the hob and the
results are superb whilst being out of head height (it is 165cm from
the floor).

Something not right with these dims surely? Ours is 1710mm from floor and
800mm above hob. It protrudes 500mm and just catches my nut nicely. Cookie
doesn't have the head problem but complains the switches are a stretch.
Just can't win.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 10:36 pm, "Jim Alexander" wrote:

Ours is the same 'power' and I located it 95cm above the hob and the
results are superb whilst being out of head height (it is 165cm from
the floor).

Something not right with these dims surely?

Ah, yes. It is 185cm from the floor, 95cm from the hob.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/07/2007 23:07 Mathew Newton wrote:

95cm from the hob.

OK, so it looks like I can lift it without any problems. I do the
cooking and at the lowest height it may well obstruct the view a little.

--
Frank

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM