Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wire size for supply to small consumer unit in shed

Hi,

I want to get a small consumer unit fitted in a shed I will add to my
garden in the next few months. I am about to lay laminate flooring my
my house and therefore want to run the wires under the floor ready for
the connection to the shed.

To save money on the armoured cable I want to run twin core and earth
to a RDC inside the house nearer the shed then the main consumer unit
and then run the armoured cable from there to the new consumer unit.

I only require 1 or 2 double sockets in the shed, an interior &
exterior light hence I will only need a small unit in the shed.

My question is not so much about the set up (although comments on a
better way to do this are very welcome) as I will most likely get a
sparky to do the connecting up etc, instead I want to know what size
TC&E wire I should run under the floor from the main consumer unit to
the position for the rdc and then what type/size?? armoured cable I
should buy to run from the RDC to the shed.

All comments much appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What would the length of both sorts of cable be?

The TW&E would be about 12-15m and the Armoured cable would be
about10m.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
I only require 1 or 2 double sockets in the shed, an interior &
exterior light hence I will only need a small unit in the shed.

My question is not so much about the set up (although comments on a
better way to do this are very welcome) as I will most likely get a
sparky to do the connecting up etc, instead I want to know what size
TC&E wire I should run under the floor from the main consumer unit to
the position for the rdc and then what type/size?? armoured cable I
should buy to run from the RDC to the shed.

All comments much appreciated.

One or two double sockets *could* mean a load of 40 amps or so. You need
to know how much current you are likely to take. You might, for example,
want to run a 3kW heater and an arc welder together while the pottery oven
is heating up. Or only a desk light and soldering iron.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

This is a subject that crops up from time to time and is a bit deeper
than many anticipate since there are a number of aspects of the design
that need thinking about.

Have a read of:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

You proposed setup sounds like one of the simpler arrangements, but
think through your requirements carefully before deciding on a solution.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

One or two double sockets *could* mean a load of 40 amps or so. You need
to know how much current you are likely to take. You might, for example,
want to run a 3kW heater and an arc welder together while the pottery oven
is heating up. Or only a desk light and soldering iron.

I will only use the sockets for a small water feature pump and lawn
mower and the lights will be a simple 100w inside and about 150w
outside.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john wrote:

Run some 10mm twin and earth inside house and 10mm 3 core armour. Protect
the lot with a 40 amp mcb inside main consumer unit.

With respect, this does seem to be glossing over a number of potentially
important points.

The OP s requirements sound like they are unlikely to exceed 3kW, so
even if we allow 4kW for expansion, a 20A supply would be more than
adequate. From a voltage drop point of view 2.5mm^2 cable would just
about be in spec at 25m for that load.

You also need to decide where you will site the RCD. In this
circumstance at the head end of the supply would probably be acceptable.
Depending on the earthing system in user you may or may not have a choice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You also need to decide where you will site the RCD. In this
circumstance at the head end of the supply would probably be acceptable.
Depending on the earthing system in user you may or may not have a choice.

Thanks for you comments,

I was going to site the RCD where I change from TC&E to the Armoured
Cable is this not suitable. Do I need to run a separate earth cable
will the one in the TC&E nor suffice?

Cheers,

James