Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wire size for supply to small consumer unit in shed

wrote:

I want to get a small consumer unit fitted in a shed I will add to my
garden in the next few months. I am about to lay laminate flooring my
my house and therefore want to run the wires under the floor ready for
the connection to the shed.

To save money on the armoured cable I want to run twin core and earth
to a RDC inside the house nearer the shed then the main consumer unit
and then run the armoured cable from there to the new consumer unit.

I only require 1 or 2 double sockets in the shed, an interior &
exterior light hence I will only need a small unit in the shed.

My question is not so much about the set up (although comments on a
better way to do this are very welcome) as I will most likely get a
sparky to do the connecting up etc, instead I want to know what size
TC&E wire I should run under the floor from the main consumer unit to
the position for the rdc and then what type/size?? armoured cable I
should buy to run from the RDC to the shed.

All comments much appreciated.

This is a subject that crops up from time to time and is a bit deeper
than many anticipate since there are a number of aspects of the design
that need thinking about.

Have a read of:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

You proposed setup sounds like one of the simpler arrangements, but
think through your requirements carefully before deciding on a solution.

--
Cheers,

John.