Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best thing to seal oak for making a chopping board

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:08:42 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:06:36 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
. ..
Staffbull wrote:
Thanks for all the answers, I'll try out the liquid parrafin I think,
I have enough to worktop to make around a dozen good sized boards!!
but I'm trying to think of another use for the longest piece as its
1.5m and it would be a shame to cut that to bits !! - first thought
is
a kitchen trolley/table thingy on castors !!

Bagatelle or shove ha'penny board game?

Carve an improving motto into it and hang it above the bed?

Where you wouldn't see it!

But, like piles...you'd certainly know it was there...

I bow to your greater experience :-)

I'll pass on your compliments to my telly the next time "I've got an
embarrassing illness that I wouldn't dare tell anyone about...except
when there's the prospect of me and my insert body part here being
shown to 5+ million viewers" is on.

Regards,

The 5+million viewers wouldn't include me - we haven't a telly ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:40:01 -0000, Staffbull
wrote:

Had some lengths of oak worktop and I intend to cut them into chopping
board sizes,

Don't use oak to make chopping boards.

I'm fine with wood, but not oak. I don't even much like it for worktops
-- the problem of staining from iron + water is just too troublesome in
a kitchen.

I wouldn't try and seal them either. Oil them (grapeseed, walnut, but
not olive) regularly instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had some lengths of oak worktop and I intend to cut them into chopping
board sizes,

Don't use oak to make chopping boards.

I'm fine with wood, but not oak. I don't even much like it for worktops
-- the problem of staining from iron + water is just too troublesome in
a kitchen.

?

There's no staining on my oak boards ... and they come into plenty of
contact with water. And they're not sealed, oiled or finished in any other
way.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Staffbull, Katiemac01 wrote:
I have read peoples responses and most do not seem to helpful. I make my
own chopping boards and I normally use a mineral oil as it helps to protect
the wood and gives it a good finish

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rd-413092-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 15:44:04 UTC+1, Katiemac01 wrote:
replying to Staffbull, Katiemac01 wrote:
I have read peoples responses and most do not seem to helpful. I make my
own chopping boards and I normally use a mineral oil as it helps to protect
the wood and gives it a good finish

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rd-413092-.htm

Pity you didn't read the date as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 15:44, Katiemac01 wrote:

replying to Staffbull, Katiemac01Â* wrote:
I have read peoples responses and most do not seem to helpful.

I have just read your response and it does not seem helpful, because its
13 YEARS too late!

--
Cheers,

John.