Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint for Tyrolean

I need to paint a tyrolean rendered house (mine!). What sort of paint
would be best, and would smooth or textured be better ?

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Thanks!

Seán

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:
I need to paint a tyrolean rendered house (mine!). What sort of paint
would be best, and would smooth or textured be better ?

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Thanks!

Seán

That's what I used on my extension (brand new render so watered down the
first coat)....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jul, 09:32, DrLargePants wrote:
I need to paint a tyrolean rendered house (mine!). What sort of paint
would be best, and would smooth or textured be better ?

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Thanks!

Seán

I used Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry paint and would highly recommend
it, not only with initial application but the final finish. It's only
been on a year so cannot comment on durability (although needless to
say it looks as good as new).

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/planning/masonry.html

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Would smooth or textured be better though, keeping in mind that
Tyrolean is allready bumpy and there is a section where ivy (not my
doing) has been ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
On 26 Jul, 09:32, DrLargePants wrote:
I need to paint a tyrolean rendered house (mine!). What sort of paint
would be best, and would smooth or textured be better ?

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Thanks!

Seán

I used Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry paint and would highly recommend
it, not only with initial application but the final finish. It's only
been on a year so cannot comment on durability (although needless to
say it looks as good as new).

I just used sandtex something or other. It was a bitch to get on. We
watered it down so it ran into the holes, and did three coats - a lot of
with with brushes. The rollers tended to leave the valleys unfilled.

Looks OK now. If you can spray paint it helps..

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/planning/masonry.html

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:
Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Would smooth or textured be better though, keeping in mind that
Tyrolean is allready bumpy and there is a section where ivy (not my
doing) has been ?

I think it matters less than a fart in a hurricane frankly.

The texture is what it is.

Pick whatever will go in a spray gun, if you can.

I THINK mine was smooth, but I wouldn't swear to it. The main house is
rendered with sharp sand anyway, so it came out 'textured' The Tyrolean
bit came out 'very textured - and interestingly - looks a slightly
different colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jul, 12:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
DrLargePants wrote:
Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Would smooth or textured be better though, keeping in mind that
Tyrolean is allready bumpy and there is a section where ivy (not my
doing) has been ?

I think it matters less than a fart in a hurricane frankly.

The texture is what it is.

The textured stuff tends to provide much less coverage (area wise) and
is arguably unnecessary for tyrolean.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The textured stuff tends to provide much less coverage (area wise) and
is arguably unnecessary for tyrolean.

I'll try a smooth tester on it and see if that hides the remains of
the ivy.

I've burnt and wire brushed off the tendrils, but I'm keen to not be
able to see the outline of it all when its painted!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:
The textured stuff tends to provide much less coverage (area wise) and
is arguably unnecessary for tyrolean.

I'll try a smooth tester on it and see if that hides the remains of
the ivy.

I've burnt and wire brushed off the tendrils, but I'm keen to not be
able to see the outline of it all when its painted!

Pretty sure we just painted over..had a lot of climbers up it, and lichen ..

Could try a bleach wash.

Pressure washing ISTR works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pretty sure we just painted over..had a lot of climbers up it, and lichen ..

Tried painting over it with a Sandtex tester and you can't see any
trace of the ivy, so we're good to go I think!