neilr

Default What paing best for tyrolean harl

Hi,

I'm about to paint a fairly large exterior wall. It was built in the 1960s
and rendered with what I think was called 'Tyrolean harl' - they used a
'spatter box' to sort of sprat (spatter) the surface coating, resulting in a
fine grain harl. The harl colour originally was cream in colour but now is
dirty and streaked, and won't wash off with a high pressure water gun, so I
want to paint it.

I'm not a painter, so the problem I have is what product to choose. Can
anybody advise or recommend a suitable paint (coating) for the job. Also do
these coating cover in one coat or am I likely to need to apply more coats.
I would assume it would be best to apply it using a roller (?) If it helps
the wall size is approximately 12M x 5M

Any advice much appreciated,

Neil

Bob Mannix

"neilr" wrote in message
[...]

Any good quality masonry paint (I use Dulux Weathershield but ymmv). Brush
off loose stuff and apply some anti fungal stuff first. You will probably
need two coats and may have to use a brush (depending on the surface
texture) - it will soon become clear!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

The Natural Philosopher

neilr wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to paint a fairly large exterior wall. It was built in the 1960s
and rendered with what I think was called 'Tyrolean harl' - they used a
'spatter box' to sort of sprat (spatter) the surface coating, resulting in a
fine grain harl. The harl colour originally was cream in colour but now is
dirty and streaked, and won't wash off with a high pressure water gun, so I
want to paint it.

I'm not a painter, so the problem I have is what product to choose. Can
anybody advise or recommend a suitable paint (coating) for the job. Also do
these coating cover in one coat or am I likely to need to apply more coats.
I would assume it would be best to apply it using a roller (?) If it helps
the wall size is approximately 12M x 5M

Any advice much appreciated,

I painted mine with sandtex exterior paint. 'Sea Silver'

Its not so much the paint, as how you apply it.

We thinned down a LOT for the first coat (40/60 eater/paint IIRC)to get
it in the crannies. Even then a lot of wibbling with the brush was
required. If you have a spreyer I'd be temped to use that.

The next two coats went on slightly thinned, and out the tin straight.
With I think mainly a large fluffy roller.

Use a brush to cut in round frames etc of coures.

Results are superb.

Neil

David Lang

Even then a lot of wibbling with the brush was
required.

Wibbling?

:-)

Dave

David Lang

Hi
The harl colour originally was cream in colour but now is
dirty and streaked, and won't wash off with a high pressure water gun, so

want to paint it.

You won't clean it just with high pressure water - you need a specific
detergent called Traffic Film Remover or TFR. Spray on first via the HPC's
detergent system, you need a solution between 2% and 5%.

Apply from bottom up, rinse from top down.

Dave

OG

"neilr" wrote in message
[...]

I used a brush; there is a specific design of brush for masonry paint -
I can't see how a roller would work with a Tyrolean surface IME.

Sandtex is one of the long established brand names and the one that I
used 30 years ago when painting my parent's house. Their website has
pretty good instructions as PDFs.

One thing they point out is that high pressure water cleaning can cause
deep water penetration into the surface and this may take several sunny
weeks to dry off before you trap it by painting over it. As you've tried
HP spraying already, you may want to leave those test areas to make sure
they're thoroughly dry before you seal the damp inside the wall.

The Natural Philosopher

David Lang wrote:

Even then a lot of wibbling with the brush was
required.

Wibbling?

:-)

Mmm. duno a better word. Rotating motion backwards and forwards and
round and round?

Family word in my wifes family for generally behaving like a headless
chicken.

Dave

The Natural Philosopher

OG wrote:

"neilr" wrote in message

[...]

I can't eiher, but it does. Some of them do anyway. Songe wont work, but
some of the fluffy sort seem to.

But s I said, a brush is needed on the first coat to fill teh hollows.
They look murky andway, so if they dobn't pick up as much paint as the
highlights, its no big deal.