Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how do I prove which electricity company I'm with?

For a while now, I've had two companies both billing me, for both gas
and electricity. I was told that Transco would tell me which gas
company I was *definitely* with, but is there a similar organisation I
can go to in order to prove which electicity comany is supplying me?

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 11:42, wrote:
For a while now, I've had two companies both billing me, for both gas
and electricity. I was told that Transco would tell me which gas
company I was *definitely* with, but is there a similar organisation I
can go to in order to prove which electicity comany is supplying me?

Thanks in advance

You need to speak with your local *disribution* company and ask for
their MPAS department.

See http://www.switchwise.com/faqs.asp#whosupplies

Regional electricity companies (RECs) when they were privatised were
typically split into the "supply" business and the "distribution"
business. So while you may have switched to a new "supplier", the
company that physically distributes the electricity to you will remain
the local REC. They are the guys that own the meters etc, so they
should be able to initiate the right dispute procedures to get your
billing sorted.

Are you certain that you aren't being billed for two separate meters
(or meter points?). Some properties which were flats etc may have had
multiple meters, and whilst strictly speaking one address should have
one supplier, sometimes they do get confused.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
writes:
On 25 Jul, 11:42, wrote:
[...]

Also check the meter numbers on the bills.
They might not all match your meter.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Regional electricity companies (RECs) when they were privatised were
typically split into the "supply" business and the "distribution"
business. So while you may have switched to a new "supplier", the
company that physically distributes the electricity to you will remain
the local REC. They are the guys that own the meters etc, so they
should be able to initiate the right dispute procedures to get your
billing sorted.

Good start, but effectively the electricity companies split into THREE
- the network operators, the billing side ("supplier"), and metering.

If you're not supplied by the host REC, the supplier has to nominate
who they want the meter operator to be, who may or may not be the
metering arm of the local REC.

MPAS is the way to go though - and it might also be worth keeping good
notes now about when and who you spoke to, as the rules have now
changed so the suppliers can only claim back up to 12 months elec'
usage if the customer can prove they've been trying to sort the lack
of a bill out :-p