Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring BT Telephone Extension Socket

I am trying to fit an extension socket for my fax machine. I have
bought the wall fixing socket from Homebase but the instructions use
the colour code: Green with White Ring (if present) to (1):Blue with
White Ring to (2) Orange with white ring to (3) White with green ring
(if present) to ( 6) White with blue ring to (5) & White with orange
ring to (4)

I have cannibilised a cable from an extension cable but the colours
are plain white, green, blue, red.

Anyone knows what colour goes where?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Merryterry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to fit an extension socket for my fax machine. I have
bought the wall fixing socket from Homebase but the instructions use
the colour code: Green with White Ring (if present) to (1):Blue with
White Ring to (2) Orange with white ring to (3) White with green ring
(if present) to ( 6) White with blue ring to (5) & White with orange
ring to (4)

I have cannibilised a cable from an extension cable but the colours
are plain white, green, blue, red.

Anyone knows what colour goes where?

If you are using non standard colours it does matter at all so long as the
colour goes to the same pin number at each end

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 14:23, "TMC" wrote:
"Merryterry" wrote in message

oups.com...

I am trying to fit an extension socket for my fax machine. I have
bought the wall fixing socket from Homebase but the instructions use
the colour code: Green with White Ring (if present) to (1):Blue with
White Ring to (2) Orange with white ring to (3) White with green ring
(if present) to ( 6) White with blue ring to (5) & White with orange
ring to (4)

I have cannibilised a cable from an extension cable but the colours
are plain white, green, blue, red.

Anyone knows what colour goes where?

If you are using non standard colours it does matter at all so long as the
colour goes to the same pin number at each end

Tony

Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is that the other end disappears
into a plug and I cannot see what colour goes to what pin even if I
knew what the pin numbers were at the plug end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 14:44, John Rumm wrote:
Merryterry wrote:
Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is that the other end disappears
into a plug and I cannot see what colour goes to what pin even if I
knew what the pin numbers were at the plug end.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

--
Cheers,

John.

It looks as though the telephone extension cable I purchased from the
****bags at Homebase is using alarm cable, (multi-strand and different
colours) rather than proper telecoms cable which the above link tells
me should be single core copper cable. I will go back and wrap it
round their neck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:23:35 -0700 someone who may be Merryterry
wrote this:-

It looks as though the telephone extension cable I purchased from the
****bags at Homebase is using alarm cable, (multi-strand and different
colours) rather than proper telecoms cable which the above link tells
me should be single core copper cable. I will go back and wrap it
round their neck.

What sort of kit is it? Since you mention a plug I assume that this
is the sort with a plug at one end to plug into an existing socket.

What sort of connectors are in the socket? Some do have screw
terminals; though most have IDC for which solid core cable is
essential.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

It looks as though the telephone extension cable I purchased from the
****bags at Homebase is using alarm cable, (multi-strand and different
colours) rather than proper telecoms cable which the above link tells
me should be single core copper cable. I will go back and wrap it
round their neck.

What sort of kit is it? Since you mention a plug I assume that this
is the sort with a plug at one end to plug into an existing socket.

What sort of connectors are in the socket? Some do have screw
terminals; though most have IDC for which solid core cable is
essential.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

It was a plug and loose socket kit that I purchased and then cut the
socket off to connect to a wall mounted socket. The wall mounted
socket has screw terminals. I think the extension kit, (plug & loose
socket) they flogged me is cheap alarm cable (multi strand) rather
than proper telecoms cable, (single core). Cheap chinese crap
probably. Could someone confirm that proper telecoms cable is single
core?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:43:35 -0700, Merryterry wrote:

It was a plug and loose socket kit that I purchased and then cut the
socket off to connect to a wall mounted socket. The wall mounted
socket has screw terminals. I think the extension kit, (plug & loose
socket) they flogged me is cheap alarm cable (multi strand) rather
than proper telecoms cable, (single core). Cheap chinese crap
probably. Could someone confirm that proper telecoms cable is single
core?

Yes.

If the wall socket has screws, then the stranded cable can be connected to it.

If you have a multil meter, looking down at the plug with the cable going away
from you, the four small contact strips number 2,3,4,5 left to right and then
you will be able to identify which colour wire goes under which screw.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:43:35 -0700 someone who may be Merryterry
wrote this:-

It was a plug and loose socket kit that I purchased and then cut the
socket off to connect to a wall mounted socket. The wall mounted
socket has screw terminals. I think the extension kit, (plug & loose
socket) they flogged me is cheap alarm cable (multi strand) rather
than proper telecoms cable, (single core). Cheap chinese crap
probably. Could someone confirm that proper telecoms cable is single
core?

It is these days, but it was stranded in the distant past.

The question is whether the pairs are twisted to reduce crosstalk.
If they are not then it is not telephone cable. Note that the
twisting is not great for telephone cable compared to network cable.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:

It looks as though the telephone extension cable I purchased from the
****bags at Homebase is using alarm cable, (multi-strand and different
colours) rather than proper telecoms cable which the above link tells
me should be single core copper cable. I will go back and wrap it
round their neck.

Well the stranded stuff is the correct wire for flexible extension leads
- like used on the phone itself. Some of the extension kits that "plug
in" to the existing wiring also use flex for the first connection since
it is difficult to terminate the solid core stuff to a plug reliably.

Either way, the actual colours don't matter, so long as you make the
corresponding pins.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 15:53, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:43:35 -0700, Merryterry wrote:

It was a plug and loose socket kit that I purchased and then cut the
socket off to connect to a wall mounted socket. The wall mounted
socket has screw terminals. I think the extension kit, (plug & loose
socket) they flogged me is cheap alarm cable (multi strand) rather
than proper telecoms cable, (single core). Cheap chinese crap
probably. Could someone confirm that proper telecoms cable is single
core?

Yes.

If the wall socket has screws, then the stranded cable can be connected to it.

If you have a multil meter, looking down at the plug with the cable going away
from you, the four small contact strips number 2,3,4,5 left to right and then
you will be able to identify which colour wire goes under which screw.

Andy

Thanks Andy and everyone else thats helped. I have a multi meter and I
will try that when I can get out to my toolshed after the rain stops.